Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Commander 1000 affected with the grinding transmission when you go from Park to High Gear, it started at about 6,000 miles. I now have about 7,500 miles on it. I have to put it in low, then back to High, or put it in high and barely tap the accelerator and wait for it to go into gear properly. Stepping on the gas quickly results in the transmission making an ungodly grinding noise. Once it's in gear, it's in. It's annoying and it's common from what I've seen on several commander forums online and older Maverick forums as well and lots of people have the same problem. It seems some of the machines can be difficult to shift, and forcing the shifter into gear will bend the shifting fork. If you have a machine that's difficult to shift sometimes DON'T FORCE IT. Try to rock your machine first if possible. Apparently it's about $1,600-$1,800 to fix at the dealer. That's Canadian pricing because I live in Canada but from forms I've read online it seems it's about the same in the US.

Can Am should have a goodwill warranty for that problem in my opinion, even if it's just for original owners of the machine. I've owned it since new, always did my maintenance on schedule at the dealer, which costs a small fortune, and this still happened. There is nothing the dealer can do and it's not their fault it's just a Can Am design flaw.

If you're looking at buying a used Commander be sure to take it for a test drive and check for that issue. You don't want to buy that problem, unless you get the machine cheap of course and are capable of fixing it yourself.

Anyone on this forum from Nova Scotia know of someone in the province that can fix this issue for less than dealer rates?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I recently started to develop a problem with mine like you have described. I'm not saying that you may not have a gearbox problem, but my problem was solved by adjusting the shift cable. Wasn't off by much, but enough for hi gear to to not always fully engage.

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely worth a try. Thanks.

I recently started to develop a problem with mine like you have described. I'm not saying that you may not have a gearbox problem, but my problem was solved by adjusting the shift cable. Wasn't off by much, but enough for hi gear to to not always fully engage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine did the same, adjusted the shift cable so that when in neutral the lever was in the center of the plastic detent on the engine cover. Now its smooth and doesn't grind

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did the same, adjusted the shift cable so that when in neutral the lever was in the center of the plastic detent on the engine cover. Now its smooth and doesn't grind
I looked at mine and its doing the same as your guys but the shifter in neutral is centered and cant be off?
commander shifter.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good News Update
I took my Commander to a different dealer last month (June 2020) for something unrelated to the shifter. I told them about the grinding and asked them to use low gear when moving it around the lot. When I went to get the machine a service tech came outside and told me they looked at my shifter and said it's centered where it should be.

He said there is a 'work around' for this grinding problem:
1. Move the shifter from P to H like you normally would BUT....
2. When the shifter gets to the far-right side of the "H" slot hold it on there, don't move it to the left side of the notch as you normally would.
3. Give it a good shove to the left side of the notch then let it go. (Don't smash it really hard, but use a bit of force)

I tried that and it didn't seem to work the first time so I did it again a little harder and it worked! I've done it several times since then and it still seems to work so give that a try. Good luck with it.

Note: I live in Nova Scotia and the dealer that showed me that was Adventure Motors in New Glasgow. I usually don't like to mention dealer names but they deserve a shout out for this. (The last dealer I took it to told me I needed to pay $2000 to fix it without even looking at it.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts