Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2015 Commander Max XT. I bought the sport roof when I purchased it. I'm in the market for a windshield. I've tried finding a glass windshield that flips or tilts for the Commander. I want glass instead of the lexan or polycarbonate. All I can find is companies that sell a full enclosure with a tilt glass windshield. I don't want or need the full enclosure. Anyone know where I can purchase just a glass tilt out windshield? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just spent three days, eight hours a day, riding in my XT. The first day was heavy dust, the second, heavy rain, and yesterday, cold wet fog. I just thank my lucky stars that I bought a Can Am glass windshield with wipers and washers. I used them all day for three days and they worked fine. If you're going to put some serious time in your SXS you might think about this system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No one makes a tilt full glass. It's too heavy. All are poly

·
Registered
704 Posts
I built a glass windshield that is a lot like the Ryfab with the tip out air vent on bottom. Works great and I get lots of airflow when open. I redesigned the top to fit the Sport roof and also fits the cage on my 014 a lot tighter. It took a couple afternoons to build it and I've got about $250 in it plus a 2 windshield wiper and washer system for around $100.
It's so nice to ride in the muck&mud and wash it off with the push of a button. Glass is definitely the way to go.
If you've got the time/energy to make one, it's not that hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hiperflyer2, can you post a few pictures of your set up? Also, did you buy the windshield wiper as kit or fab it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
pictures

Man I'd like to see how you did the glass windshield. I own a glass business and a glass windshield is on my to do list. I just finished a new lexan windshield and after a four day ride at Windrock Tennessee my windshield is trashed. It was dusty then it rained cats and dogs. The mud that followed was at least better then the dust.
THANKS RAYZZZ. My Commander likes my money

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree with Dakota, the RyFab is a great system. I'm just the kind of guy that if I can build it rather than buy it, I will. I did make the frame fit just a little tighter to clear some of my accessories better and to seal under the Sport roof just a bit better cuz all my radio and intercom gear is mounted up top on the crossover bar of the cage and I was worried about water. If you've got a glass shop & lots of metal working equipment handy, it is fun to make your own but for most of us it's better to just fork up a few more bucks and by one. The guy at Ryfab is good to deal with and has a very good reputation.
I' just wanna make sure that nobody thinks I'm say'n not to buy his design.. I would have if I didn't have all the time and enjoy making toys for my buggy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
NOW, as for the wiper system, I got a wiper motor and transmission of Ebay that fits a 2000-2001 VW Jetta GTI. It came with wiper arms and the electrical plug for motor. I needed to shorten the wiper arms to fit, tweek the Mount a bit plus a couple more little tweeks to make it work just right but I love it. I used a washer bottle and pump from O'Reillys auto parts and got 2 washer nozzles for a 2000 F350. It sound like a lot of work but for me it's all fun . If anyone wants to make a wiper system for their glass w/s, I'd be happy to send specs and talk you thru it. All total I had about 4 hours labor in the wipers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NOW, as for the wiper system, I got a wiper motor .......d be happy to send specs and talk you thru it. All total I had about /QUOTE]

I am building my own windshield and frame. My friend just recently finished one on his Prowler. Looks way too easy to build to justify spending all the shipping costs up to Alaska for a prebuilt windshield. I like fabrication as well. Nothing like the satisfaction received from a finished usable product. If you have the specs handy, can you PM me with the details. I'm going to check with my friend and see what he used as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you looked at the full laminated safety glass tip out windshield from alumilitearmor.com? I have one on my Commander and it is nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First I've heard of this one. Looks nice and affordable.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I looked at the one from alumilitearmor but to me it looked like it gave you a lot of blind spots. And if you also use their cab enclosure the blind spots are even worst.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I looked at the one from alumilitearmor but to me it looked like it gave you a lot of blind spots. And if you also use their cab enclosure the blind spots are even worst.
Im on the same boat was to order one I really like it but to much blind spot IMO it is dangerous in trail if they ever upgrade it I will get one full cab as my mammoth soft door are done and all other option are way to expensive or not functional the best one so far is the kolpin glass but 1800$ plus 450 for wiper outch

full windshield need to flip or open in anyway cause in the summer it became a dust trap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here so i apologize if this was covered, Anyone have a Dirt warriors windshield? I'm also looking to upgrade to a glass one thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed my Dirt warriors glass windshield, it seems really nice except the fit at the bottom is not that great. not sure if its
how i installed it or the design but i cant find anything on how to do it and no instructions came with it. it seems pretty straight forward
but it just doesn't seal right???? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts