Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have, or know where I can get, all torque specs I will need to R&R my gearbox? I've decided to go ahead and do it myself as the good shops are too busy to take my money and the others dont seem to know what they're doing any more than I do. I'll just take my time and get it done. Any tips or important things I should know would be much appreciated as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
Big job but you can do it! Someone will have torque specs. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I believe I wrote the important ones down. I’ll try and see if I still have the piece of paper later tonight or tomorrow. I also did a write up on here, once as I did it and once with simplified steps - I’ll try and find the link(s) later and post back here. It’s a pain in the butt job and I’m about as far from a mechanic in the real world as you can get but I did it.

Also, if you don’t have it, Ace usually has a link to a pdf version of the shop manual, which is handy and has the torque values. It says you have to pull the motor and gearbox out of the machine but you don’t.

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
Slowindown uses leather and tile work benches because he’s delicate. That proves like he always says if he can do it, anyone can. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Here's a link I wrote the procedure down in. https://www.commanderforums.org/threads/procedure-on-removing-gear-box-2011-commander.59450/#post-835978

Heres a picture of the sticky notes I used as a check list of the main torque values. Note: there’s no simple way to use a torque wrench and socket on the nuts that hold the gearbox to the engine, maybe a crowfoot extension would work - I used blue loctite and tightened them real good with a wrench. The same is true of the yoke bolts. I don't see the 4wd actuator on the list but they would likely have been 14-18 ft lbs but double check in the manual. Also, the second thing on the list - the bracket that bolts into the cyl head, I believe that was 18 ft lbs to, given the bolt size and what it was screwing to but I'd double check that, it is not the 46lb figure above it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts