Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I installed digital gauges in my Commander, I thought this tutorial might be helpful.
To start with I used Cyberdyne Digital Gauges, I've had an experience with Intelitronics Digital Gauges and found them to be inferior. Cyberdyne is a beautiful Gauge and can be purchased in Amber, Green, Blue or red, I selected Green.
Lets start with Fuel pressure,

In this pic you see the sending unit and the hardware that was needed to build a "T", the fuel line is 5/16" so your going to need to wind up with 5/16" barbs, the sending unit threads are 1/8" MIP. The hardware store I was at did not have a 5/16" barb 1/8" MIP "T", (dont know if they exist) thats why it had to be built up.

The sending unit needs to be grounded so I soldered a ground wire to the center "T", I sanded it with 400 grit and then cleaned the surface with acetone, this worked very well and I achieved a good solder bond.

This is a pic of the sending unit and built up "T" installed

This is a pic of the sending unit and built up "T" installed and wired

On the instrument paned I removed the 12v accessorie plug and used a
2 1/16" hole saw for the gauge installation. The 12v accessorie plug was relocated below the key

Fuel Pressure Gauge installed

Oil Pressure
In this pic you are looking at the left side of the engine, note the arrow, that is where I tapped in for oil pressure.

Oil pressure sending unit installed. Note, because there is engine structure just behind this port I had to use a coupling and nipple to raise the sending unit up.

Water Temperature
In this pic you see the inline sending unit adapter with the water temp sending unit installed.
I have seen these inline adapters on several ATV web sites for approx $35 including shipping, too much $$$, I found this one on ebay for $11 including shipping, not bad. Buy the 26mm, it fit perfectly !!

This pic is looking under the left front wheel well, you can see the upper return radiator hose

The hose removed and adapter positioned, mark the length of hose to be
removed.

Adapter installed, I used a band saw to cut out a section of hose, DONT FORGET TO RINSE BOTH PIECS OF HOSE, there was a lot of debris inside
both pieces.

Hose and adapter installed

I purchased the gauge panel from TurnKey, the panel was flawless, perfectly fabricated and the fitment was dead to rights, Adam at TurnKey is a great guy to do business with

The gauge panel placed in the instrument panel

Gauges installed in the panel

This pic is the back of the gauge panel, you can see my wiring work, note the pig tail and automotive 4 pin plug

Pigtail on back side of instrument panel

Gauge panel installed in the instrument panel

Project completed,
Looks pretty good !!

·
Registered
665 Posts
did a very nice job, looks great!

:rating09:+1

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
That looks great! If you don't mind, I going to suggest a better place to install the water temperature sensor. I was going to buy a inline water T but found out about this on the Outlander forums. The Rotax engine actually has a hole already for the water temp probe. You just pull it out and use a M12x1.5 to 1/8th NPT adapter. This is also the best place for the probe because its after the thermostat and you get the most accurate water temp reading. This also saves you the time and money from having to install an inline radiator hose adapter. It's also a much cleaner looking install. Anyway, just thought I would share. :)

Here is where the factory temp sensor is located at. Its on the rear cylinder head.

In the front head a plug is installed here.

This plug is an M12x1.5 bolt. You can buy the adapter at OrielyAuto Parts

Equus #9848

Pull the old plug out with a 13mm wrench or socket. You will only lose an ounce or two of coolant. Do this with engine cold!

Here's the mounting location after plug removal.

Wrap the threads of the adapter with Teflon tape and hand tighten to prevent cross threading.

Run engine for a few minutes, While running loosen the sensor and allow the air to purge DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE SENSOR!, A little coolant will escape. Snug sensor after, Now you have purged the air out and will obtain a accurate coolant temp from within the engine.

All this info came from kd7joe on the ATV forums. All credit goes to him.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that is better. I had no idea about that head plug.
Thanks !!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Guy, that is super clean work! Thanks for the post and pics.

I assume you had the wiring go into a 4 pin connector in the back of the panel for ease of removal of the panel?? Sano work!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
"I assume you had the wiring go into a 4 pin connector in the back of the panel for ease of removal of the panel?? "

Yes, plus its just a clean setup.

·
Registered
222 Posts
im sorry i know this has nothing to do with this thread but how do u post the big pics instead of the little thumbs?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im sorry i know this has nothing to do with this thread but how do u post the big pics instead of the little thumbs?
I use photobucket, this is how all my posted pic turn out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ok thanks ill giv that a try

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice job, clean, I like the idea of the 4 pin connector. I'm adding gauges this spring and this gave me a couple ideas.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyone done this temp guage on the outlander as mentioned by Xelvic? Just wondering where to tie into for power from the sending unit??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Other than peace of mind, what are the other reasons for the extra gauges? Did you notice anything unusual with your readings?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
"I purchased the gauge panel from TurnKey, the panel was flawless, perfectly fabricated and the fitment was dead to rights, Adam at TurnKey is a great guy to do business with"

Thanks Gregg!! Let us know if we can do anything for you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mostly peace of mind, I think the more info available over the long tearm allows for the continued monitoring of the general health of the car, it just might save me from a break down some day.
Plus I think there cool....

·
Registered
395 Posts
What is the thread pitch of the oil pressure tie in between the cylinders? Is a metric adapter needed here also to convert to npt? I am ready to install mine soon!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Mostly peace of mind, I think the more info available over the long tearm allows for the continued monitoring of the general health of the car, it just might save me from a break down some day.
Plus I think there cool....
Excellent job Gregg and yes it looks cool too!!!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
l2azorback,
Its 1/8 NPT.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts