Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 DPS about a month ago but really liked the XT cluster and could not pass up the deal I got on the DPS. I read up online and I read where you could swap out but needed the buds flash to get the MPH swapped over.

So I got it in from the dealer today they said install it and bring it back to flash it after installed.

I installed it and it lights up and shows everything find but it will not start up. I can also start it with my old DPS gauge cluster and then swap the new one out and everything is fine but when I cut it off it still will not start back.

When watching videos I saw where it boots up and says recognizing new ECU and it resets. I turned it own after installing and to see if it would light up but then turned it off. I am wondering if that messed it up.

Does anyone have any ideas or does anyone know how to reset the ECU to possibly get it to recognize it again.

Thanks for any help or advice that can be offered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have been me screwing it up then. They have not installed the buds yet. I was told i only need the BUDS to swap over to MPH vs the K.

I am thinking I should have not turned the key back off after first turn on.....Not sure yet.

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
I was under the impression it all had to be recalibrated after the cluster swap. But I may have read it wrong there has been a couple that do it. Does it recognize the performance key when you first turn the key on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does. It also shows everything perfectly like Gas, gear, lights (high/low). Just when I hit the start button it will not turn over. I can start it with the original DPS one and it will fire right up and I can swap after its started and all is fine. I checked it on my my other commander also and it does the same thing there.

BTW thanks for the quick response, I appreciate the trying of help :)

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
Swap it out while it's running like before then take it around the block then bring it back in and shut it off disconnect the battery for several minutes then hook it back up and see if it will start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah no go on the disco after running it for a while.

Weird part is I can pull it off the gauges and it will start right up and I can plug them back in and its still fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to take it by the dealer to get the flash and I hope that will fix it. Thanks for your suggestions/help tho

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to follow up I got everything working today. Brought it in and they hooked it up and first question was new ECU would you like to make it the new one. Changed the hours from 24 to 12 and changed from Kilometers to MPH.

If anyone wants to know the process I can now help :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Other than the problems you had at the end, was it difficult to install? I have a 2015 DPS that I've been wanting to "recluster", but that's a pretty big chunk of change. I'm sure there are other things the Commander needs more, I just haven't ridden it enough yet to figure out what.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really like it a lot. I wanted it due to it had all the gauges up plus heat levels all at the same time. You will need the gauge, bracket, 2 screws, 2 of the screw tabs and the cover. You can get it online for around 289 or so plus shipping or $325 for free shipping. I got the dealer to give the the OEM one for $325 and he flashed it for me for free. Let me know if you need any other information for it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
$325? That's not bad at all. For some reason, and I know I'm probably wrong, I was thinking the one I looked at a month or so ago was in the $700 range. I've looked at (and bought) so much stuff in the couple of months I've had the Commander. It's hard to keep up with it all. Thanks for the info, I may very well be getting back with you with some questions!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I found one on 2wheelpros.com, but it's showing the speedometer, lens, gauge ring, and speedometer button as 4 separate parts, all for around $340-$345. I think I'll give my dealer a call tomorrow and see what he can do. I really don't know why I need this, I never look at the speedo on the trail...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks Jk, I saw that, but I no longer do eBay. Been screwed too many times. I will show that link to my dealer, all he can do is say no.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts