Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Commander 1000 XT Limited with about 120 hrs. No current problems, but I would feel better with a complete fluid change, lube and general checkup.

Local dealer quotes about $320 for checking belt, all fluids and lube. Sounds tall to me but I am asking the experts.

Thanks ahead.

·
Super Moderator
25,525 Posts
Thats about right. And if you have them check the valve lash they will add another 300.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats about right. And if you have them check the valve lash they will add another 300.
Thanks for the quick response. It seems a bit high BUT I have looked at vids and decided that I don't need the challenge right now.

Time to trailer her up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, consider that cost the oil change kit which simply takes care of the motor runs around $85.00 here in Canada. Now add the additional oil for the diffs and transmission, safe to add another $40.00. Fluids alone will run you about $120.00. Add labour costs at $120.00 an hour yeah $320.00 would be on par.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just be careful -- a shop nearby me (same chain that sold me the unit but different store) had an advertised price of $279 labor for the 100hr maintenance (well, they called it Gold package, which basically did the 100hr manufacturer maintenance). The service advisor said 'prolly looking around $100 for fluids' and ballparked around the $400 mark to do this. Next day got a text message from them saying it's complete and ready to pick up -- with a bill of over $600. They knocked the labor/parts down greatly and I ended up walking out for around $420.

Read the fine print -- for $600 I would have done it myself.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called the place back for scheduling. My Commander is at our weekend place over two hours away AND I will need to borrow a trailer. No big deal.

They were quite benevolent to my situation and said they could get it all done in just 2 hours, complete service and belt check. In the videos I have watched it appears to be more labor-intensive that just a couple of hours.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
25,525 Posts
They could do it all in 2 hrs if five of their wash boys stepped up to help get it done . Lol so all jokes aside they can't do it in 2hrs.

80x2= 160
Oil change kit 85$
Gearbox abd diff oils 60$

Total 305$ that's a guesstimate
So if they only charge 2hrs you getting some free labor. If any of those oils are cheaper they are charging more labor. If they put their best master buggy washer on it. He may be able to check the belt and blow the clutches out in a hr.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with acefire, no way could they do all that in 2 hours. If they said they did I’d be questioning the level of service you actually got.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It took mine about a day to get done. Dropped it off in the afternoon, picked up the following afternoon.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
How far are you from WV? I’ll bet Acefire could do it in an afternoon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I brought mine in this summer for the same thing. NEVER AGAIN....... Not sure if it was just the dealer. But they pretty much did everything wrong. Took 3 weeks when they said 10 days ( had to not participate in a ride we had planned). They gave it back with a dead battery because they left the dome light on. Had both seat belts wrapped around the seats. Then I got a couple miles away and stopped for a beer abd noticed the greese zerks wern't even touched. Hopped back in and had a few kind words with the manager. NEVER again. My recommendation learn to change your own oil and find a good reputable NON-Dealer mechanic in your area. I feel better now :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts