Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Now you guys are catching on. My work here is done. Spread the word to everyone who loves to waste their money on premium if not needed. Those F'n oil company's damn sure don't need anymore. Glad I could help inform.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
BIG SLT, didn't mean to bust your balls so bad. Sometimes my fingers catch on fire and get away from me. After re-reading my post aimed at you, I may have went overboard a little... AH LITTLE. Don't get carried away now!! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im going to E85 this summer, it will pick up a min of 10% in HP plus it wont detonate and its cheaper to buy. It will burn a little more but I never run that far to worry about it. Im going green LOL..:icon_wink:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have only used Regular Gas in my Commander and it runs great.

One problem I did have is with my motorcycle Honda CRF 450R, I have not been out on it because of a lot going on last year and getting the Commander. I have had the motorcycles forever without any problems with gas that might sit in them for less than a year, but that is not longer the case. I went out on my motorcycle and it wasn't running right due to fuel. I have a mechanic that works on my bike that used to work on the supercross bikes and first thing he asked is if I had old fuel in it. He was telling me in the last couple of years the amount of methanol is more then ever and he is seeing a lot of bikes with problems from old gas messing up seals and gumming up the carburetors. So time to rebuild the carburetor because of methanol. Another thing that came up is Premium Gas has more methanol than Regular gas, so the damage is worse. I was also told guys racing at high altitude do not run Premium because the amount of methanol in it so they run regular at high altitude races.

So if you want to run premium "Do not leave any gas in the tank" if it sits for a couple of months or if you run at higher altitudes you will be sorry in the long run. So the way I see it, there is only down side to running Premium gas in anything that does not need it to run correctly today.

·
Registered
235 Posts
BIG SLT, didn't mean to bust your balls so bad. Sometimes my fingers catch on fire and get away from me. After re-reading my post aimed at you, I may have went overboard a little... AH LITTLE. Don't get carried away now!! :)
No worrys, I dont currently have my books with me in iraq no i couldnt look and see what it said to run. But my dealer told me 91 when i picked it up and my 4wheelers get better hp on the dyno with 91 or tt111. My engine guy says that ethanol is to dry for the engines and in the long run wears them out faster. As soon as I get home I will throw the commander on the dyno and see what it does with both. But thats just my 2cents on why i run it and i guess if im throwing money away o well its just paper right.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
No worrys, I dont currently have my books with me in iraq no i couldnt look and see what it said to run.
Oh great, now you make me feel like an ass. Stay safe over there, especially with all the Bin laden supporters. Keep your six down. I was in the Army form 96 to 2000. Luckily for me, I didn't have to go over there and put up with the crap you guys are doing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No worrys, I dont currently have my books with me in iraq no i couldnt look and see what it said to run.
Oh great, now you make me feel like an ass. Stay safe over there, especially with all the Bin laden supporters. Keep your six down. I was in the Army form 96 to 2000. Luckily for me, I didn't have to go over there and put up with the crap you guys are doing.
Dont worry about it. And when i was single i didnt mind it at all but a wife and two kids later it sucks. but it did just pay for my commander X.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've used 91 and 87 and haven't seen a difference. I know use ethanol free gas when I can.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I run 87 in the Commander & 93 in the Camaro SS (this due to me revamping the timing tables). Sorry...had to put the Camaro bit in there. On another note, taking the Commander in tomorrow for some warranty work (seal replaced on the rear diff).

·
Registered
67 Posts
So in other words..... Me filling up my commander with premium and adding octane booster to it aswell...... Is the complete oppsite of what you wanna do? Right?

I'm not running regular but if I ran Unleaded Plus i'd be better off??

I always thaught that Octane ment more power but I'm glad I read this and know not to do that and that'll save me $5-$10 a fill up after paying for the higher premium and a bottle of Octane Booster aslo!!!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
So in other words..... Me filling up my commander with premium and adding octane booster to it aswell...... Is the complete oppsite of what you wanna do? Right?

I'm not running regular but if I ran Unleaded Plus i'd be better off??

I always thaught that Octane ment more power but I'm glad I read this and know not to do that and that'll save me $5-$10 a fill up after paying for the higher premium and a bottle of Octane Booster aslo!!!
Ha Ha, you answered your own question. Higher octane means the fuel has less energy. Adding octane boost means your even further lessening the energy. Like I said, pump gas starts out at 70 octane. They add octane to reduce the energy so it doesn't blow your engine apart.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well...... Crap lol for now on I'm just runnin unleaded plus! I'm still not runnin regular cuz theres ethonal in it but I'll definatly stay away from premium and octane boost for now on! Thanks for the info!

One more quick question. I have an 08 Kawasaki KFX 450r 4 stroke 4 wheeler fuel injected with a programmer, intake, race exhaust, port and polished head, and swapped the cam. I run premium and octane boost in it, but the motor runs pretty hot and has TONS of power. Should I switch to unleaded plus? or stay with premium with the octane boost? Because like you said the less the octane the hotter it would run or increase the chance of blowin the motor

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
What is the difference between unleaded plus and premium where your from? To me they sound the same.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Also reference your 450, you have a lot going on there to just say the heating issue is from the octane. More horsepower means more heat. Have you done anything to upgrade the cooling system?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts