Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
17 Commander: Gas gauge will read 1 bar (from empty) and the gas light will illuminate on the dash - but there is a solid 5 gallons in the gas tank. I think that the gas light will come on at 2 or 3 bars from empty when there is still 6 gallons in the tank.

Is this a fuel sender issue? How can I fix this? It looks like the sender is part of the fuel pump and is not a separate part.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine went slowly down until it read empty on a full tank. The float got saturated and didn't float anymore.
Here's the bad...You have to buy the whole pump assembly. Way too much money. I had a guy replace his bad pump and
he sent me the float assembly off his old one. Find someone with a bad pump and get the float off of it.
Easy fix too. Just replace the top tank o ring with a new one after the pump is in the tank to prevent any leaks.

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
******* reserve sender is works as all other models . Only way to fix it is to pull sender and bend float rod to read where you want it to read empty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
******* reserve sender is works as all other models . Only way to fix it is to pull sender and bend float rod to read where you want it to read empty.
OK. I have had a couple of Jeep CJ-5's that had this problem. Real cheap and shi**y senders. I had to bend that float around until it was more accurate and that took quite some time. However, if the float is saturated as dnystrom stated, then I'm jerked. The difference is that the CJ made-in-China replacement fuel senders were something like 15 bucks but this is integrated into the $500 fuel pump!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine went slowly down until it read empty on a full tank. The float got saturated and didn't float anymore.
Here's the bad...You have to buy the whole pump assembly. Way too much money. I had a guy replace his bad pump and
he sent me the float assembly off his old one. Find someone with a bad pump and get the float off of it.
Easy fix too. Just replace the top tank o ring with a new one after the pump is in the tank to prevent any leaks.

Crazy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
This was an issue when I had a 2012 and a 14. Guess BRP still doesn't listen to the customer. It's best to have a good idea how far you can go on a tank and then you will have an idea of how much gas is in the tank. It's very unsettling riding around for 50 - 75 miles on an empty tank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was an issue when I had a 2012 and a 14. Guess BRP still doesn't listen to the customer. It's best to have a good idea how far you can go on a tank and then you will have an idea of how much gas is in the tank. It's very unsettling riding around for 50 - 75 miles on an empty tank.
Yep, it is still a problem. CanAm never addressed the issue and the floats are stuck to a $500 parts. I was riding WV outlaw trails at night and that dammed gas light came on while I was climbing a mountain. I was afraid that I was going to stall out. I hit a gas station and was only able to put in 4.5 gallons and this was after 100 miles of riding. I'm guessing that I have a range of at least 130 miles of full power riding in 4L and 4H but it is mentally discerning to be in the thick of things with the gas idiot light on and 1 bar on the gauge. Very sad for CanAm's brand. :crying

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I think they have a gauge just so that they can market that they have a gauge. I havent checked when my ******* reserve light comes on, but I would suspect I still have 4-5 gallons like ya'll say. When I did gauges in my old 660 rhino, I used an isspro tube sender and my readings were pretty darn accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I agree with knowing your range even though it doesn’t fix the issue. The first time my light came on I freaked out and headed back to camp to put less than 5 gallons in. LOL. Ever since then I have started just topping her off every day when I return to camp.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How does that float get saturated? From the photos, it looks solid (photo attached) and not hollow?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
it's porous. Not a solid piece.
You should be able to go at least 150 miles on full tank. That's a long day's ride.

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
If your riding 150 miles your running a 8 mph average for the day. Most I hate ever gone was 120 and that was a 13 mph for the day. We get up to a 30 mph average it’s 75 ish mile day . Lol I have heard of people getting 15 to 18 mph. Have been on many rides with multiple commanders everyone is running out of gas about the same time .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's porous. Not a solid piece.
You should be able to go at least 150 miles on full tank. That's a long day's ride.
I believe it. I think that I could have made it to almost 180 miles on a full tank the way I was going. Porous? I've never seen a porous sender before. All the old Jeeps that I had had plastic (hollow) floats. So this CanAm porous float somehow become saturated with gas and gets heavier over time and screws up the gauge's accuracy. I spoke to a CanAm dealer who knew about the problem in Commanders and Mavericks. They claimed to have replaced the float material with material from a similar sending unit that they acquire at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your riding 150 miles your running a 8 mph average for the day. Most I hate ever gone was 120 and that was a 13 mph for the day. We get up to a 30 mph average it’s 75 ish mile day . Lol I have heard of people getting 15 to 18 mph. Have been on many rides with multiple commanders everyone is running out of gas about the same time .

Ironic, I was watching some of your youtube videos and I noticed that your gas gauge was on 1 bar from empty and the idiot light was on (attached)

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
My xmr the light comes on at 3 bars then goes back out when it gets down to one bar. And 10 miles later it runs out of gas. But xmr only has a 5.4 gallon tank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
That was Troy’s mav video he couldn’t get it to load. So I posted it up for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My xmr the light comes on at 3 bars then goes back out when it gets down to one bar. And 10 miles later it runs out of gas. But xmr only has a 5.4 gallon tank.

I'm guessing that my light goes on when I still have 6-7 gallons in the tank. That's a bit premature..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts