Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been going through my mander fixing last year's carnage and I found my front yoke on engine side is lose and the bolt is tight. (Even heated ouput shaft to melt loctite) is there some some sort of circlip that fell out maybe? Have never took drive shaft out of bike. Also I have lost quite a bit of top speed. Changed the worn belt and its not much better. Right around 50 is and the engine is screaming! I'm running 27 in swamp lites. Any info would be great! I'm also wondering how big of a pain it is to change front shaft seal on the output shaft?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What year is your machine. The front yoke rocking back and forth is normal on '14s and probably newer. Torsional play is not.

Edit: old machines use a bolt instead of a grease zerk so it's probably wore out.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
What year is your machine. The front yoke rocking back and forth is normal on '14s and probably newer. Torsional play is not.

Edit: old machines use a bolt instead of a grease zerk so it's probably wore out.

The old units like my 12 had the yoke held tight against a clip that is on the threw shaft . The yoke bottoms on the clip and the bolt holds it tight .
Changing the seal on the engine drive shaft is not hard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 13. It has no front to back play just side to side or a circular motion. I've been getting a weird noise from down in that area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have any input in the top speed issue? I feel like I'm going to be a certified brp mechanic after this thing is gone through! Lol

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Do you know what RPM you are hitting? Have you ever gone through your clutches and cleaned them to make sure there aren't any worn out parts?

·
Registered
420 Posts
If both top speed and rpm are limited try cleaning the spark arrestor screen at the end of your exhaust. This worked for me after getting stuck in some ugly mud and it was totally clogged. Look for other threads about taking the three little bolts out because they can seize and break off and be a real pita

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to try and clean the arrestor. It has been buried past the exhaust plenty of times. I just services the clutch and put sealed one way bearings in. ( belt was so bad I could only hit 35 mph) and now I'm back to 50.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When you did your clutch. Did you replace the primary and secondary bolts that attach the clutches to the shafts. They are TTY bolts and should only be used once. I know people get away with using them more than once. But they are designed to stretch and may not hold proper torque the second time.
Did you clean and burnish the clutch sheaves?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is it just me or do you have to be a mechanic to own these commanders?
I've owned an outty since 2006 and had to do very little to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Your outty didn't weight 1400 pounds empty. Lol but they do have a lot of the same parts. Plus it's always nice to have a cage when you roll it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I used the same hardware didn't realize it was a stretching bolt. The engine side of the sheeve had some rust or brown discoloration on half of it. I don't think it's ever had water in the housing. I cleaned it up the best I could and reassembled.... If I didn't have some sort of mechanical skills this thing would have been an insurance claim a couple months after I got it! ;) lol but this thing has gone through some stuff I know a jeep couldn't handle!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts