Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
The visco works off hydraulics . Not resistance there's a super heavy sticky goo of oil in the visco and when it senses wheel spin it expands and locks the clutches up. Which make left front turn with right front . If visco goes put you will still have 3 wd but left will not engage . But if you snap the tip off the right front axle you go straight to 2wd .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For what you described, you must have the sxs jacked up on all 4 corners and engine turning the tires, right?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
You can test the visco with it in 2wd drive and only left or right front tire in the air. If you spin tire fast enough it will stop the tire you spin . Or drastically put enough force on it that it shows down making it hard to turn.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You can test the visco with it in 2wd drive and only left or right front tire in the air. If you spin tire fast enough it will stop the tire you spin . Or drastically put enough force on it that it shows down making it hard to turn.
So, if I spin it slow, it should go round and round basically unrestricted?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
It will go around but will have resistance do to the pressure on the spider gears . Some different are tighter than others . But diff is tight the visco will lock easier if its working correctly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I dont have a hill to go up at make a reasonable turn. Most are just trails single quad wide and not much room to turn off it.

I just pulled up to an 18" log diagonally in 4wd with only the right front tire on it. Hit the throttle and got an ougly sound and didn't pull up on it. The left front and right rear dug a hole (expected as rear end wasn't locked).
Then pulled up to it with the left tire first. Got a similar noise but not as loud and pulled right up on the log.
So the left tire pulled and the right tire didn't.

It's in the garage with tools ready operate!
Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Grab a hold of the right side inner cv with your hand. Pull out if it moves more than 1/16" the tip is broke off the axle . If it's broke off the cv will normally move out 1/2" to 1" before the cv bottoms out and stops it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Made some progress... Drvr Side axle wasn't cooperating so I'll get after it again tomorrow evening. Was hoping I could stick a punch through from other side but doesn't look like that'll work.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
I use a long skinny flat screen driver . It's about 20" long and it fits between the spider gear cross pin.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Is the right side cv splines stripped or extremely worn?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not much for wear on the pass side

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Dear lord!! I snatched on that drvr side 20 times with the strap method... light tap on it with a screwdriver through the diff and it popped right out!! You're the man Ace!
Automotive tire Glove Wood Gas Plumbing

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Well don't look like those have been popping out. So sounds like your grinding noise was coming from the visco .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Guess I'm about 1/3 of the way through this!

Seems like the bad part here is that I probably won't actually SEE anything wrong on the inside will I? I'll get to take a look tonight.

Visco will get replaced by a Torq-locker.
Wood Art Tints and shades Font Creative arts

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
No you won't see it unless you completely remove the visco from the carrier. Which is what you should do to make sure visco does not try to engage .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah, I'm pulling it all out. Am I looking for damage on the clutch plates or dirty visco fluid or what?
Looks like it wasn't just a viscous fluid problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
As much as I hate it, the teardown is going to have to wait a couple days- got some family stuff to tend to.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Visco Fluid can leak out cause it not to fully engage or friction disc's maybe worn . But definitely need to figure out where all those chunks came from.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts