Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to swap out my stock Warn winch for my Viper widespool Elite on my XT.

Step 1 Remove front bumper......are you frickin' kidding me!!!!!!!!

Who in the $#@% engineered these God$%$# things!!!! All 4 bolts that hold the XT bumper on have the nuts loose and spinning in behind. God only knows what kind of wrench would fit in there. I thought about cutting the bolts but that would mess up the front bumper plastic. Then I got thinking if I cut them off I have to get something in behind the when I put it back on. How do you get something in behind there on the little hole to hold the nut????

I thought this would be an easy swap but I guess not.

Steve

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think I had to jam a 12" flat blade screwdriver to hold the nuts long enough the blast the bolts out with an impact. Then replaced the bolts with grade 12.9 cap screws with lock washers that stop the nut from spinning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Super easy job.
The little 6mm bolts at top have lock nuts on them. I just popped out the grill and used a box end wrench. Inside the square frame.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Step 1 Remove front bumper......are you frickin' kidding me!!!!!!!!

Who in the $#@% engineered these God$%$# things!!!! All 4 bolts that hold the XT bumper on have the nuts loose and spinning in behind. God only knows what kind of wrench would fit in there.
Can't resist - I've owned lots of off (and on) road vehicles, and coming from Rhinos to my first Can Am, this thing is an "engineering" nightmare. In my quest to pull the front bumper, I found this old thread and it made me feel better somehow - LOL. What a disaster. In general metric vehicles seem to be assembled pretty efficiently; it's rare you have a bolt and a nut to deal with. With the Can Am, if I am able to simply buzz out *anything* without having to pull 10 other things off first to get a wrench on the backside, it's a friggin miracle. These guys need some serious help from a vehicle engineer or they will run out of people willing to work on them. OK, back to these f'ing bolts.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't remember all the details of what I did but I think I actually had to cut some of the webbing out between the holes in the frame tube. I also remember having my daughter come over to reach in because her hands were smaller. FWIW....I've done a lot of additional work on mine since that post and my feelings haven't changed...lol. I too came from a Rhino and it was pretty straight forward to work on. These are in a different league but I guess now I'm getting used to it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will say also if I ever had to take it off again I would buy a nut-sert tool to put it back on.

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will say also if I ever had to take it off again I would buy a nut-sert tool to put it back on.

Steve
Kept pressure with a pry bar on the thing and managed to get them all out. Think I'll oversize the holes and weld in some flange nuts from the outside. One of those things, if you fix it, won't have to pull it again, but if you don't something is sure to happen and you'll fight it again.

I can't believe how absolutely absurdly this thing is put together. I'm basically rebuilding a basket case so it's torn down pretty far. Oh well, hopefully she'll hold together after this and won't have to deal with quite so much going forward..

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Felt the pain on this one been there done that!!! Serts are welded in place for any next time removal and slathered heavy with anti-seize. Now folks it's not only our Canned Hams that have great engineers having brain farts I serviced a Ranger XP Highlifter 900 over the weekend and Yah it was that great lol All is well and I'm grateful that we have these little pains in the arses to go play with tho, have a great day folks!!! :grin

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Boogs had same trouble. Fortunately while Acefire was installing RT lift my buddy Jimmy who has been welding since he was two got in there with the mig and really welded those nuts on. They both did an awesome job. The pay wasn’t the greatest I guess. I sure miss those guys....

·
Registered
136 Posts
To add a photo for others down the road... Added a couple 3/8" drain holes in the bottom (wtf is with all the dead ends on this thing with no drainage??), oversized the bumper mount holes and welded in some flanged 10mm nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Trying to take off the bumper on my 2016 XTP, did a search and found this old thread, what a PITA! I think maybe the nuts were welded on but if so they sure did a crappy job. If I can get the thing off I'll be trying out my new nutsert tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts