Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some work on my new to me commander. I pulled the plastics all off because I am getting the lockup mod done, changing the belt changing the fluids out etc. Inside the dash piece behind where all the switches are I found some sorta nest...have no idea what but something at one time must have been living there. Anyway I am going to try to straighten up some of the wiring the P.O. had done and as I start looking I find

With this tucked in behind the dash:

So apparently the P.O. had the switched Sport Low mod installed but for some reason disconnected the switch and tucked the connector away. I spoke with Arcticbomb and it is not his so I believe it is the other guys who sells them on ebay.

Now for my question. I currently don't have the commander running since the primary is off. I tried to jumper the switch between the 2 white wires where the switch would connect to and just turned the key on but it would not switch to sport mode when I was in low. Maybe they disconnected it because it quit working or maybe they disconnected it because they ran out of room to mount switches. I'm not sure but I'm also not sure where to start to troubleshoot this problem. Anybody got any ideas to throw out???

Steve

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Do you still have the switch for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. No switch to be found.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Won't work without a switch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. I jumped a wire across the 2 terminals (The 2 white wires in the picture) to do the same thing that the switch would and no change. Still shows eco mode in low even when 'switched on'. Not sure what could screw up in this so I don't know where to start. I will add that this is with the key on and engine off. I have my primary off so I didn't want to start it. I even have the seatbelt fastened.

Steve

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
All a sport harness does is add a resister to lower the voltage . Once you low the voltage from low gear signal the ecm thinks your in high gear as long as you match the high gear signal voltage .
I built my own on my commander as they were not available to buy at the time . I bought a razor back switch less for my Mav . I think it was around 75 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been reading past posts from when they first figured out the sports low. I am currently tearing the wiring harness apart to try to see what is bad. Probably a broken wire or loose solder connection. It is pretty simple once you get into it. Some of the wiring logic seems bazaar to me though.

Steve

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

I got thinking....I thought I remembered seeing a switch in the glove box soooo.....I did some searching as my wife had loaded it down with a bunch of crap and low and behold down at the very bottom (These boxes are deep...lol) I found the switch!! Once I plugged it in the thing works perfectly. I guess the previous owner wanted the switch for the light bar on the dash more than the Sports Low switch. I had finally found RickD's email and had sent him an email about it. He replied at the same time I fixed it that it is designed so it will only work with the switch in place.

Troy, when you said it wont work without a switch I thought that by jumping the connections I was making the switch but you were spot on.

So I feel pretty good. Got something I didn't even know I had. Saved me $150 to boot.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I have one of those too. I have a new to me 2013 Can am commander limited. I Don't think I have the sport low harness or switch, just the block the switch mounts to. Is there anyway to find out what its for? Also the po had spliced into the high/low headlights red and black wires for the led light bar and changed the 5 amp fuse to 20amp (found this because my winch would only go in and not out then fuse blew and maybe the winch controller too). Does splicing cause a problem? I know should not bump up fuse sizes. Any suggestions?
Automotive tire Trunk Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
Any time you add a splice it's just another potential problem down the road . The commanders harness is wired with all the plugs from the factory to add all the accessories that can am has to offer. So should be several plugs floating around unattended. If blowing fuse on the winch it could be a short or the contactor is Shorted out .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts