Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas how to get the driven pully shaft off the transmission shaft of the secondary clutch? Mine is stuck and I have heated and pryed on it for 3hrs and still no progress. Don't want to beat on it to much for fear of messing up bearing but I'm about ready to start beating the guts out of it.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Well that's one thing I havent had happen. It normally slides right on and off so it must be a little oxidation holding it. I would try copious amounts of pb blaster and/or maybe wd40. does it move it all? I'm not sure how much torque you can put on the gearbox if you put it in park without damage. But if you can get it to turn on the countershaft a tiny bit, you can probably keep working it for more movement til its off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the secondary off 2 times since i had it. (Probably part of the problem) Neither time that that move. I have heated and let cool. Pecked with rubber mallet. Heated and pried. Know of no way to try and turn it with it in park other than trying a pipe wrench. Don't know if that is a good idea but I have been 3 hrs trying to get this one piece of.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't know what the diameter is, if a 2-piece shaft collar might fit it, and use a slide hammer puller.
If there's room between the end of it and the countershaft, maybe tap the end and screw in a bolt?

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Why not try to hydraulic it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
If it’s stuck bad . Weld a nut on the end and get it off that way as last resort . Should be lots of old ones around for a replacement shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no means to hydraulic it off. I'm going to lowes tomorrow and get 1/2 in tap and all thread and use a makeshift slide hammer to get it off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have no means to hydraulic it off. I'm going to lowes tomorrow and get 1/2 in tap and all thread and use a makeshift slide hammer to get it off.
If the hole size is right, I believe 7/16" for a 1/4" npt tap for grease fitting, you might hydraulic it off as Troy suggested. If you want to go that route, though, double check my numbers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ran 7/16 tap in it but had nothing long enough to use a slide on it. Went to Lowes this morning and bought a 1/2 in tap and bit and 1ft all thread. Apparently you can buy 7/16 bolts any more. Tapped and had off in 5 minutes. Pain in the rear to tap though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts