Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to our very own Doug Siddens for not only being the first up the hill, but dominating it!!!! Great work Doug!

Well its official! Doug Siddens, in his 2009 Polaris RZR-S, is the first person ever to drive a UTV at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb!

On June 27th, 2010, Doug was the only UTV in the Powersports Exhibition class. Not only did he finish first in his class, but he also beat out over 40% of the 152 competitors on race day with his time of 14:03.

Just reaching the top of this monumental mountain is a mechanical feat within itself. To do it in the time he did is more than respectable. There were also some other variables on race day that make this run even that much more notable. For one, it was snowing about the last three miles of the climb, and two, Doug has no professional racing experience. Not bad for a small town guy with no factory backing and an entire Powersport resting on his shoulders!

But you don't have to hop in your RZR and try to visualize what Doug's historic run was like, as he captured it all thanks to several ContourHD camcorders. So load up the beautiful HD version of the video below, turn the sound up and enjoy a ride up the gnarliest hill climb in the world!

*Make sure that you select 720p next to the slider on the bottom of the video or visit YouTube directly for the wide-screen version.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
DAMNNNNN thats INSANE!!! watched it on my new i7 machine, 12 gigs of ram, 22in wideschreen lcd, sennheiser 520 headphones ...with my face about 12 inches from the screen in full screen HD WiCKEDDDDDD!!!!! thats one crazy wild ride Doug I caught my breath at 2:30 when you went sideways HAHAHA the rest was an "E" ticket ride right up into the clouds even on my puter =]]]] WTGGGG =]]]

·
Registered
806 Posts
DAMNNNNN thats INSANE!!! watched it on my new i7 machine, 12 gigs of ram, 22in wideschreen lcd, sennheiser 520 headphones ...with my face about 12 inches from the screen in full screen HD WiCKEDDDDDD!!!!! thats one crazy wild ride Doug I caught my breath at 2:30 when you went sideways HAHAHA the rest was an "E" ticket ride right up into the clouds even on my puter =]]]] WTGGGG =]]]
Haha....I can see you with your helmet on watching that, visor touching the screen....lol....Lance

·
Registered
504 Posts
Awesome it is all most like riding in the back seat. Good work. Doug, are you thinking about doing it agin next year?
Yes, definitely! That race is so addicting all I can think about is next year :D

LOL glad you liked it! Did you see the guy that ran for his life in the yellow jacket at about 5:40?

That was unreal! Great Job Doug. Any idea on average speed.

SS
If my figures are correct, I averaged about 54 mph. Not to bad considering I had the RZR detuned as much as possible, limited to no practice runs during race week and no special tires :cool:

wow grats imagine if he had a decked out Commander X
Could happen next year ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome it is all most like riding in the back seat. Good work. Doug, are you thinking about doing it agin next year?
Yes, definitely! That race is so addicting all I can think about is next year :D

LOL glad you liked it! Did you see the guy that ran for his life in the yellow jacket at about 5:40?

That was unreal! Great Job Doug. Any idea on average speed.

SS
If my figures are correct, I averaged about 54 mph. Not to bad considering I had the RZR detuned as much as possible, limited to no practice runs during race week and no special tires :cool:

wow grats imagine if he had a decked out Commander X
Could happen next year ;)
Doug
At the risk of sounding stupid here, what did you mean ( I had the RZR detuned as much as possible ) Being from flat lands of Ohio! Never detuning for a race! That was very cool!!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Because of the elevation and long wide-open pulls up an average of a 7% grade, it's about the worst conditions for a high performance motor. Most helicopters can't even fly that high and it causes all kind of odd stresses and strains for the motor. So instead of running on the ragged edge like a would for a normal race, I was down about 40% in power just to make sure that nothing happened and I finished. I was more about finishing this year than running a good time :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of mods have you done to the engine? I would guess its turbocharged:) if you could detune it 40% for this race.

Would love to hear more about how you set your ride up for this event, it would have been really fun to have done this run but being located a few thousand miles away in Norway that would take some work to get it set up.
Waiting for the Commander video for next year..!!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
What kind of mods have you done to the engine? I would guess its turbocharged:) if you could detune it 40% for this race.

Would love to hear more about how you set your ride up for this event, it would have been really fun to have done this run but being located a few thousand miles away in Norway that would take some work to get it set up.
Waiting for the Commander video for next year..!!!!
I built a 900cc big bore stroker motor for it and added a TD04-15T turbo. Not to mention a gigantic list of other mods :)

There a pretty good list and more info on my ride here: FOX Racing Shox — When It Counts: TEAM FOX ATVUTV: Doug Siddens

1 - 19 of 19 Posts