Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it wasn't as easy as just bolt it on, bit it is done.

First, I had to get after-market stuff since I have a 2011 and none of the factory stuff fits. Order it from a semi-local dealer and it came in quickly.

The first challenge was getting the bar installed. It was about 1/4" - 1/2" too short. So I managed to get one side bolted up loosely and then use tie-straps to pull the bar down so it slid onto the cage. Then I discovered that it had been powder coated after the threads were tapped and the screws included were a bit too short so while trying to get the second side bolted up I managed to bugger up the screws and the threads. So off it came and I retapped all the holes and got longer screws (thanks for carrying them Fastenal). So got the bar on and most everything else bolted up easy enough (but is anything really easy when working on Commanders?).

I did have to relocate that attachment point for the rear brake line as it was bolted to the pass side buckle mount. In the pic you can see that I used a metal tapping screw to secure it to the frame.

For the sub belts, I used a piece of 1/4" x 2" steel and bolted it to the seat and then attached the sub belt to it.

Looks good and the wife is happy.

While I had everything apart I changed the belt. And Ace, it was not the 212 belt I had, it was the 364 belt. I knew it was a Maverick belt, but didn't think you could get the one that came on the units from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Great work! I remember the harness install, it was a pain, pretty much par for the course as far as my upgrades go. 95% easy, last 5% were pure hell. I haven’t even begun to dread the belt change yet. I have one, but I guess as long as the Commander stays in the garage I don’t have much chance of breaking one. I’m sure Ace or Booger would come along and do it for me anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts