Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of thinking about it I finally added HushMat insulation to the panels around the engine. I decided not to add exhaust wrap at this time, I want to see what the HushMat does by itself. Although it was only in the 60's there was a big difference between the panels I insulated, which felt cool after an hour of driving, and the forward panel I did not insulate. I expect after a hot weather ride I'll see a big difference.

The install was pretty simple. After a brief bath in the tub to make sure they were clean, followed by odd looks from my wife, I removed the foam BRP put on the panels, I assume to hold in dirt since it doesn't seem to serve any other useful purpose, and used ghem as a rough guide to help cut the HushMat to the correct shape. Some of the work was totally freehand. If my cut came up a little short I used some of the scraps to fill in the few missing areas. A 1/2 inch wooden dowel I had laying around worked great to roll out air and make sure each panel was well attached.

Here's a few pics of the finished panels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the HushMat Ultra 11 hoodliner kit, comes with 6 12.1"x23" sheets. I thought the individual sheets would be easy to work with.

I thought about the heat during hunting season but figured I'm usually bundled up pretty good so I'd give priority to the summer heat, which my wife agreed with ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the same thing three years ago and even though it helped it wasnt enough. Last year i installed the Engine Cooling Fan Controller-Natural Hayden 3647 this was very helpful and i would recommend doing so. BUT because we always want more i am concidering adding the Tite Top which is a cover for the outside of engine cover. Its pricey but i have noticed when i lay a light weight jacket over the housing there is a huge difference in the heat. Good luck :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
That heat is no joke. I hear some guys say, "oh, I live in the north, it doesn't bother me". That is 100% bull. I live in Alaska. Snowmachines are for winter, not my Commander. It gets pretty warm here in the summer, especially in the interior (90's last summer), and that heat will make your day miserable. I replaced my gear box over the winter, and insulated all of the panels which I had previously not done. It makes a hell of a difference. I also wrapped my headers. Another good tip, if you want to do it, is take your windshield off in the summer, even a half windshield, and wear goggles. A lot more airflow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I did mine I left the cut edges exposed. Some of the black material melted and dripped on the exhaust pipe. It didn't burn but smoked pretty bad. I took them back off and sealed the edges with HVAC foil tape. And...I went back and double-wrapped the cupholder area. One layer there wasn't getting the job done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I did mine I left the cut edges exposed. Some of the black material melted and dripped on the exhaust pipe. It didn't burn but smoked pretty bad. I took them back off and sealed the edges with HVAC foil tape. And...I went back and double-wrapped the cupholder area. One layer there wasn't getting the job done.
Yeah, that cup holder is only good for coffee, unless you insulate the hell out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts