Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out Saturday riding and at the end of the day my buggy overheated.I looked around and realized the fan was not running. I've checked the fan motor at the connector with some jumper wires from the battery and it works. Checked the fuse and the relay, they are both good?? Can anyone give me a idea what to look at next? Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
25,407 Posts
If sensor goes out it defaults the fan to run full time . So sounds like you got short or bad relay or fuse. When you checked the fuses I assume you check the fuses in the small fuse box above the main fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
25,407 Posts
Start engine and unplug the coolant sensor if fan comes on replace sensor. The sensor may be stuck in the open position telling ecm it's not hot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give that a try tonight. I checked the 25amp fuse and the relay in the main fuse box and they are both good. I'm interested in if the fan runs after I unplug the sensor? Thanks!! I'm not sure what your referencing about 2 fuse boxes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ace, I see what your saying, (I think). If the temp sensor goes bad the fan runs all the time as a safety, but if the temp sensor sticks open then the fan will not run but it is not seen by the ECM as bad at that point so the fan does not run and the buggy overheats? correct?

·
Super Moderator
25,407 Posts
If you unhook the sensor if fan doesn't come on then you have other issue. But that's the easiest way to check sensor .

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Glad this got posted. I was watching the gauge closely when testing after being down for 7 mos and quickly realized my fan wasn't kicking on so now I have to trace this down before I can run very far.

It was working fine when the bike got parked in October or November.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
So I reach up in the fan shroud and I feel the fan in a bind on something. Then I see I have a broken blade... no clue as to how that happened.

Is there a local equivalent fan instead of brp?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ace, follow me on this one... the temp sensor must be normally closed so when the engine heats up to the temp that the fan should turn on the sensor opens and the ECM tell the fan to run. If this is the case then when you unplug the sensor the ECM see's the open circuit and automatically turns the fan on? So if the sensor goes bad and opens up the fan runs all the time as a safety feature. But in my case the sensor has stuck closed and the fan never turns on.
All that being said I unplugged the sensor last night fired the old girl up and the fan runs with the sensor unplugged just like you said. (so I suspect everything else in the circuit is good)
So... if I have a new sensor in my hand it should test with a meter as being closed in its normal, not hot, new out of the box state? correct?
BTW your help on this site is the BEST!! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ace, follow me on this one... the temp sensor must be normally closed so when the engine heats up to the temp that the fan should turn on the sensor opens and the ECM tell the fan to run. If this is the case then when you unplug the sensor the ECM see's the open circuit and automatically turns the fan on? So if the sensor goes bad and opens up the fan runs all the time as a safety feature. But in my case the sensor has stuck closed and the fan never turns on.
All that being said I unplugged the sensor last night fired the old girl up and the fan runs with the sensor unplugged just like you said. (so I suspect everything else in the circuit is good)
So... if I have a new sensor in my hand it should test with a meter as being closed in its normal, not hot, new out of the box state? correct?
BTW your help on this site is the BEST!! Thanks!
I may be having same issue, temp gauge never shows hot, but when I stop it overheats and no fan running. Next time fan runs fine and no problems, then next time no fan again. Suspect temp sensor is the issue. Where is that bad boy located?

·
Registered
617 Posts
OH BOY!!! Stroelham look at the can of worms you opened up now, oh well better to have broke down and cried than to pushed it aside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts