Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Usually answering problems, now it's my turn LOL
Fan constantly runs from ignition on until ignition off, gauge shows four (4) bars.
Disconnected DZ fan switch and plugged fan back into OEM harness, made no difference.
So It is nothing to do with fan over ride.
Any clues as to what it might be.
Rad is clean, coolant level is proper and not been apart for over 2,000 miles so it's not a bleed issue ?
If I disconnect the fan at the Rad. plug no fan so juice to fan motor is good.
Any advise from similar issues ?
Where is the fan relay located ?
Where is the fan sensor located ?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
You are showing four bars for temp on a cold engine , if so it's the temp sending unit , on the head is NFG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are showing four bars for temp on a cold engine , if so it's the temp sending unit , on the head is NFG

Thanx,
No that's not it the temp comes up to four bars as normal one at a time as engine reaches operation temp.
Fan comes on with instantly when ignition switch is turned on in either ignition on position.
Going to pull fuse see if it might re set.
Issue just appeared one day ok next day bad, wasn't like it happened while riding.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly stuck relay contacts? Fan relay is R1, upper left corner of fuse box.
Thanks, will try that.
otherwise its go through the whole schematic (not fun)
OK,
Pulled relay when engine is running and fan shut off but still worked with DZ override.
put it back in and did same with the fuse, same results.
Fan does not turn on with just the ignition switch alone only when engine is started, then it comes on .
Cold or hot makes ne difference. ?

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Did you try and see if the relay socket only has power when running not on acc. Then you will know if it's the relay or not . Some one before said there is a connector beside the gear shifter that gets wet inside that needs to be dryed out . Under the centre console , up beside the shifter

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you try and see if the relay socket only has power when running not on acc. Then you will know if it's the relay or not . Some one before said there is a connector beside the gear shifter that gets wet inside that needs to be dryed out . Under the centre console , up beside the shifter

Thanx,
I'll give that a look see but I do not do mud, water etc, ride has not even seen a puddle in about six (6) months and I have one of those great Console covers by "TROY" so even when I wash it the cover protects the shifter area.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Bollax give me a shout at the shop if you need some help

Troy

·
Registered
648 Posts
Electronic control module, ECM. A lot of the components are now having their grounding done through the ECM. That may be why it is running all the time. If everything else checks out try swapping it with another.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Just wait untill they start until they start adding body control modules . New vehicles can have as many as 12 and they all talk to the ECM . Too much flipping electronics

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wait untill they start until they start adding body control modules . New vehicles can have as many as 12 and they all talk to the ECM . Too much flipping electronics

Can the ECM be replaced in the field w/o going back to a stealer for re programing etc.?
It's a 200 mile round trip for me.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Can the ECM be replaced in the field w/o going back to a stealer for re programing etc.?
Is there more than one ECM and just where is it /are they located ?
Cannot find in the manual.
Thanx

·
Registered
12,849 Posts

ECM can't be field changed as it reads the keys . I believe the new ECM units come empty and need to be down loaded ,before they can be put into service . I'm heading down to the shop in a bit , I will look and see where it is mounted

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Cam said it's mounted up by the battery box

·
Registered
981 Posts
Service manual says that the fan relay is activated by the ECM, with input from the coolant temperature sensor and/or the intake manifold pressure/temperature sensor.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Service manual says that the fan relay is activated by the ECM, with input from the coolant temperature sensor and/or the intake manifold pressure/temperature sensor.

You are 100% correct , that's how it works . Bollax did you try a new relay , as a bad one can't do weird things sometimes

1 - 20 of 37 Posts