Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had there factory warn winch die? Mine wouldn't work and you could here the solenoid clicking. If I tapped on it a few times it would start turning very slowly and start to gain speed but as soon as I let off the switch I had to beat it again.
So is the motor shot? Do I just throw it in the trash and get a new one? Or can I take it apart and fix it?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
all the above, i've taken apart one a LONG time ago, it was full of muddy water, likely same as yours if you've been in the soup.
or they are not to much, go get a new one.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all the above, i've taken apart one a LONG time ago, it was full of muddy water, likely same as yours if you've been in the soup.
or they are not to much, go get a new one.
Lol mine has been buried many many times!! Went to hook up the plow today and this happened.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
I’d fix it myself. Most the warn stuff in my experience when working slow just needs a little maintenance. If it stopped working completely then yeah new solenoid or other parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol you funny boogs.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes just a pain in the but

·
Registered
771 Posts
My warn solenoid died last summer. Took it apart and it was clean as new. Worked maybe once or twice after that and it was dead again. Buy a replacement and change it so your not stranded. I went with another warn but there was lots of aftermarket units available.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Call me lucky with the factory winch (I guess) 3 seasons of plowing,log dragging and the occasional get me out! On my 3rd contactor box tho??

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Use booster cables from a battery and go direct to the winch and then you will know . If it spins the winch motor fine it’s contactor trouble . If the winch spins slow while being tested it’s the winch motor

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Use booster cables from a battery and go direct to the winch and then you will know . If it spins the winch motor fine it’s contactor trouble . If the winch spins slow while being tested it’s the winch motor
Newbie here with messing with a winch. So how do I do it?? Ground to the frame and positive to either terminal?

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Winch has two large wires that bolt to it . Clamp your booster cables to them . Pull a couple feet of cable out from the winch so nothing binds during your test . Ok your cables are clamped on the winch motor so now take the other end of your booster cables and go to a battery . Clamp one on the battery and then do the other and watch your winch motor . Reversing the cables on the battery will change the direction it turns

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Winch has two large wires that bolt to it . Clamp your booster cables to them . Pull a couple feet of cable out from the winch so nothing binds during your test . Ok your cables are clamped on the winch motor so now take the other end of your booster cables and go to a battery . Clamp one on the battery and then do the other and watch your winch motor . Reversing the cables on the battery will change the direction it turns
Ok easy enough I got a good jump box and I accidentally pulled all the cable off trying to straighten it out

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
You need to hook up to the studs coming out of the winch motor. Don’t let your jumper cables touch the motor as you want your battery power to go into the winch motor and not make a bunch of sparks from grounding out on the winch motor body . Only hook up to the studs . I have clamped Vise-grip’s on the studs so I have a bigger thing’s to hook my jumper cables too .

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
If one of power cable’s fell apart just by moving it a bit you might have found your winch trouble anyway .

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your cable fell apart just by moving it a bit you might have found your winch trouble anyway .
Lol no the winch cable itself. Was rolling the machine backwards while tied to the semi and apparently the commander and winch cable weren't up to pulling 20,000 lbs

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
You should take a video of you doing the motor test .

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should take a video of you doing the motor test .
Lol first I need to get off the couch but ya I'll get to it shortly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts