Can-Am Commander Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Let's hope so. It would be easier on the countertops. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I used anti seize too.

In my situation, I had the exhaust except for the muffler off anyway as I had lifted the motor to change one of the bearings in the gearbox. Plus it would be nearly impossible (or at least much harder than taking the muffler off which is only held on by 2 bolts and 4 exhaust springs after you get past the cover) to change out bad inserts on the bike. Also it gave me the opportunity to wire brush all my pipes from the heads to the muffler and that looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Yeah you did a much more thorough job than I did. Looks good. Your story scared me a little but mine went well so I thought I would share what I did in an attempt to not have to go through what you did in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I appreciate it. I intend to remove and reinstall mine regularly using your method to keep it from happening again. Might as well do it every time I change the oil. If I'm not mistaken the manual has it on a schedule along those lines.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Yeah, they are both on the same schedule. Hopefully it will be much easier for you next time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
slowindown,
I have the same muffler problem on a 2013 Commander I just bought that you described in your 2016 post. Do you still happen to have some spare rivnuts? I tried to send a PM but since I’m new to the site, I’m prohibited from sending PM’s.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Bump your post count then you can send a PM
Just go bump about 4 times
Lol

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
slowindown,
I have the same muffler problem on a 2013 Commander I just bought that you described in your 2016 post. Do you still happen to have some spare rivnuts? I tried to send a PM but since I’m new to the site, I’m prohibited from sending PM’s.
You will also need a RIVNUT install tool unless you are real good at making things !
I use Snap-On but think Harbor Freight has one with tool and inserts for not a lot of $$$
www.harborfreight.com

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
slowindown,
Yes. I still have some. Bump you’re post count like Troy said and pm me your address and I’ll sent you some. Or just post your address. You do not need a nut sert tool. Just make one as I did earlier in this thread. Nothing to it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I got your pm. I’ll mail you some when I’m by the post office later this morning.

There’s a pic below of my install tool, which is just a piece of fairly thin scrap metal with 40mm long m6x1.00 bolt through it, a same sized nut and a couple washers, pictured with a nutsert on it. The stainless replacement screws you need are m6x1.00x20mm. I try to keep some spare in cases they’re not looking too good when I clean the muffler screen. I also use antiseize.

And here’s the video again which I used to make and use the tool since it’s buried earlier in the thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for mailing the rivnuts slowindown! You should have a text from me.
I found a package of 5 of the m6-1.0 x 20mm socket cap bolts on eBay for $3.50...I really got lucky with that purchase.
I also made a tool like the one in the video from an old flat wrench I had laying around. Things will hopefully go back together sometime next week.
Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey slowindown, you got any of them rivnuts left. Screen on mine needs a good cleaning. I've already snapped one bolt trying to remove it, and expecting more of the same from the others

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey slowindown, you got any of them rivnuts left. Screen on mine needs a good cleaning. I've already snapped one bolt trying to remove it, and expecting more of the same from the others

Yeah. I've sent most of them off over the years but still have a few. PM me your address and I'll send you 3.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts