Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure if it is the best thing to do but I give it a shot with my pressure washer in the outlet when I wash my machine then run it for a while.

Neil.

·
Super Moderator
24,888 Posts
Not sure if it is the best thing to do but I give it a shot with my pressure washer in the outlet when I wash my machine then run it for a while.

Neil.

Anytime you spray water back in the muffle you just asking for trouble. The inside of the muffle will rust first . And yes if you run it the water will evaporate but the mud and dirt will stay in there for ever. The muffler body is a low extremely low grade of stainless but the baffles are mild steel.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

Neil.

Anytime you spray water back in the muffle you just asking for trouble. The inside of the muffle will rust first . And yes if you run it the water will evaporate but the mud and dirt will stay in there for ever. The muffler body is a low extremely low grade of stainless but the baffles are mild steel.
I was wondering if that would be not such a good idea? Maybe if this is a problem often make a pop in snorkel for the pig bath times and remove when out?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Nope this way works fine . I have being doing it this way for years . After about six times your threads on your bolt start showing stress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks. I ordered the inserts like the ones linked above except from ebay. The ones on amazon had a really late projected delivery date unless I allowed them to dry rape me on shipping. I'm going to check at fastenal next week to see what they have but all they show online are round ones.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Look what the mailman brought. Fit perfect. Ill make the little tool and install them later.

If anyone needs a few let me know and I'll drop them in the mail. I can share with several people at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Good find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The little tool like in the video worked good. I just used a little piece of scrap strap metal I found.

Now I have 47 more of these cool little dodads and nothing I can cut a hex hole with.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That should be enough to last the life expectancy of the muffler lol I tig welded the oem ones in guess if they ever rip out I'm gonna turn the outlet a few degrees and try again

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ha. Yeah. I don't have anything but a little stick welder. And like I said, if anyone needs some of these I don't mind giving some away.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Look what the mailman brought. Fit perfect. Ill make the little tool and install them later.

If anyone needs a few let me know and I'll drop them in the mail. I can share with several people at least.

That's the cleanest work bench I've seen yet!!

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Oh - boy I wouldn't try that with my wife . If I put a muffler on my wife's counter I would never here the end of it .

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
I see in the background you have the necessary fluids close at hand to stay hydrated throughout the project.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Oh - boy I wouldn't try that with my wife . If I put a muffler on my wife's counter I would never here the end of it .

Yeah she had this strange expression when I heated up the gearbox cover in the oven so I could put the new bearing in it. I had assumed it was sincere deep admiration and love... But, now that you mention it, I suppose it could have been something else...

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
After reading this post I was a little nervous about cleaning my spark arrester for the first time. My bolts came out fairly easy then I squirted penetrating fluid into the holes and ran the bolts in and out to clean holes. I used anti-seize during final assembly. On the muffler cover I removed the two lower and upper bolt on the tip side. I just loosened the other one and swung the cover out of the way. I just thought this might save somebody the pain slowindown went through. Booger.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeah. Good point. Get them out and save the inserts before it's too late.

What contributed to mine was that while I bought a low time low mileage machine, it had been used in water and mud a lot. Hopefully I'm about past all of the issues that sort of use caused. Knock on wood...

21 - 40 of 61 Posts