Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All three of the Allen head bolts were rusted in. Had to dremel 2 off. What are the blind nuts called where they screw in? Is that something I can get at fastenal or a hardware store or something I have to get from can am?

Screen was really dirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I broke a couple of mine too. I just put a nutsert in to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
son they rust in is the ridiculous paper gasket brp uses there. I have posted before with the same issue and what I found/thought. The paper gasket hold water when you wash it off after a ride. The exhaust is some kind off lower quality metal but the clips in there are metal and the screws seize. Remove all of it, coat it with antisieze the clips etc and then use high temp silicone, no paper.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To get the two studs out, I'm going to have to use a chisel to remove the remainder of the metal insert from the stainless muffler body. When you remove it, there is a hexagon shaped hole (in the pic below, the hole where the stud is gone).

What size nutsert did you use?

These nutserts are the round things you push in with the grooves on the side?

Any other options?

Fastenal is already closed today and won't re-open until monday. It looks like lowes or a hardware store is my only choice, unless the dealer 35 miles away has them.

I had read the posts about the paper gasket. I have some ultramax black silicone which says its good for 600F. Is that good?

Edit: Just checked the partsfiche. They don't even show or list the blind nuts. Helluva not. Go figure.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Thats a okay on the black stuff.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Your spark arrestor looked pretty plugged! Mud?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah it appeared to be 90% mud at least and it was probably 60% or more clogged. It cleaned up real easy with toothbrush sized soft wire brush I have. Im thinking it will have a power increase.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That can really affect the power and how it runs if it's as plugged as it appears? Only use enough of the black stuff to seal it and circles around the screws.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
How did you get the old inserts out?

Any tricks? I have a buggered up one like yours was, got a new muffler from troy but I would like to restore it as a spare.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How did you get the old inserts out?

Any tricks? I have a buggered up one like yours was, got a new muffler from troy but I would like to restore it as a spare.

Yeah sorta. So you saw the first pic I posted where the two studs were cut and one bolt was out?

The way I got there was simply to try to loosen the bolts with an Allen wrench. Well all three of the inserts broke.

So the next thing I tried was to spin them with an Allen socket on my 1/4" impact. That broke up more of the stuff inside of the insert I think and I was able to spin one until I actually got it out of the insert. That didn't work for the other two, however. So i took my dremel and cut off those two Allen heads leaving me with the two studs and 3 partial inserts. I had dug out the old gasket with a pick set to get enough room to get my dremel wheel below the Allen heads.

As to that insert without the stud, I took a small flat cold chisel (which is a little larger diameter than a pencil) and banged on the insert on 3 or 4 sides such that it collapsed. Then I dug it out with a hook, needle nose pliers, etc. That was really easy.

For the two studs, the method that worked best was to get a grip on the stud with a good pair of vice grips and work it until it popped out. Then I took the little chisel and did the same thing I did for the insert that had no stud sticking out. That was pretty easy too.

Unfortunately, that was not the first method I tried on the studs - if you look at the pic in post 12 and note the hole with more tool marks, you'll be looking at the the hole where I used the other method a/k/a the "don't do it this way unless you're like me and didn't think it all the way through first" method. This method was to collapse the outside of the old insert with the chisel while the stud was still in it and then dig and pry and twist and curse and cut at the old insert until I finally had it in pieces and dug it and the stud out. Probably spent 30 minutes on that one while the other two maybe took me 10-20 minutes total.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those nutserts from Amazon linked above... Is there some sort of tool you install them with sort of like a pop rivet gun or does tightening them make them expand so they don't fall out of the hole sort of like a wall anchor? Or, what keeps them from coming out of the hole?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just brainstorming here but would it be possible to weld 3 stainless studs into the holes and then use nuts to secure the outside piece. Stainless should hold up better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You need a nutsert or a rivnut tool.

Neil.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just brainstorming here but would it be possible to weld 3 stainless studs into the holes and then use nuts to secure the outside piece. Stainless should hold up better.
I don't see why that would work. Or for that matter, welding a stainless nut in the hole. I'm not skilled enough to do it tho. And I only have a little dc welder.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Good thread and great info on how to deal with this issue. My screen was almost totally clogged and drastically reduced my power output and limited my max rpms. I also have only two of these currently intact as one broke off when I cleaned the filter. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts