Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Engine RPM/MPH?

29K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Greystone69 
#1 ·
I bought a Commander Max a few weeks ago and have had it out twice so far and the engine rpm's seem to be a bit on the high side for the speed we are traveling(5000 rpm at about 25 mph) is this common? I have tried both keys and switched between sport and eco mode and it does't seem to make a difference. Haven't had an atv with a CVT so not sure if this is normal.

#6 ·
Thanks for the quick responces how reliable are the motors running at such a high rpm constantly? I'll do all of your suggestions once we have it broken in a bit more, only have about 7 hours on it yet, and report back to this tread. It may be a couple of weeks now since its been raining here in the desert of Phoenix. Thanks again.

#7 ·
5000 on the tach while touring sounds normal to me . If you floor it the tach should go to 7000--7200 and stay at that rpm while it's floored and gaining speed . Once the clutching is done shifting then the RPM should start climbing above the shiftout rpm until you reach top speed

#11 ·
It depends on your ground speed . If your in low and crawling at 5 mph your RPM will be below 3000 . If your in low and you floor it your RPM will shoot up to your shiftout RPM . Once you have run out of clutch shift your rpm will then climb up from your shiftout until your ecm RPM limiter kicks in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
When I recently bought my 2014 Canam Maverick Max Xds1000R I thought the thing was stuck in low or way over revving.
But now I've come to know the Beast.
In high it's not unusual to see nearly 6000 RPM at 30 to 40 MPH.
And hammering down to accelerate it can go over 7500 RPM.
You'll learn to notice that Engine RPM isn't exactly linear speed.
It revs high at first then as speed builds up it doesn't increase RPM as fast.
Mine runs maybe close to 7000 RPM at 60 to 65 MPH.
It will go faster but why it's dangerous.
So trail riding expect around 5000 to 5500 RPM in high.
Higher if in low.
Note: like all side by sides with clutches and belts select low before climbing steep hills even if it will do it " maybe" in high.
It will greatly extend the life of your belt and wear on your clutches.

#15 ·
You will also notice as I did that from a stand still it's hard to tell much difference by looking at the tach and listening to the engine between starting in high vs starting in low.
But as the ground speed increases you will notice you'll get near max RPM at a reduced ground speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.