Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to notice while looking thru operators guides that there is a difference in engine oil capacities in the 2013 and 2018 Commander 800 operator guides. 2013 shows 2.3 quarts and 2018 shows 2.1 quarts. Almost a 1 cup difference (6.4 oz.). Is there a difference in the engine assemblies thru the years? Acefire? Boogerhead? Anyone?

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
2013 used foamy sponge like gears. While they ran quieter as they absorbed the lube they didn’t last as long so Can-Am returned to metal gears in ‘18. Hope this helps. Boog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2013 used foamy sponge like gears. While they ran quieter as they absorbed the lube they didn’t last as long so Can-Am returned to metal gears in ‘18. Hope this helps. Boog.
Makes no sense. Spongy gears might work underwater for Spongebob, but I don't think they would engage very well in normal use. I was wondering if the manuals had typos. Thanks Boogerhead. You rock too. Don't let your head explode though. LOL

·
Super Moderator
22,953 Posts
2018 is the Maverik engine . But unsure what they would have changed other than the indicator marks on the dip stick. Which could be the reason more hp more pressure . More oil in system once you get to the over full it tends to blow out into the air box . So possible they lowered the amount showing on the stick .

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
2018 is the Maverik engine . But unsure what they would have changed other than the indicator marks on the dip stick. Which could be the reason more hp more pressure . More oil in system once you get to the over full it tends to blow out into the air box . So possible they lowered the amount showing on the stick .

So you don’t agree with the foamy, spongy gear theory? Booger sad now. : (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
What??? I’m always serious and full of up to date helpful information for my Commander brotherhood!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts

So you don’t agree with the foamy, spongy gear theory? Booger sad now. : (

No booger I don’t because the transmission and the engine are separate fluids. Unless of course you were talking about the timing gears. In that case it sounds very plausible

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I changed my oil and filter and 2.1 qts. brought the level to the minimum mark on the dipstick. 2.3 qts. brought it to the maximum level on the dipstick. I had 6 oz. left, so I put that in too, bringing it to a little over maximum. Will see if any blows out.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If it’s overfilled, it’ll probably wind up in the intake hose to your plenum.

Also, on these rotax engines you check by screwing the dipstick all the way in, unlike lots of small engines.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The 800 did get a hp increase in 18 though ??
Think it's still at 72 hp. The 1000 got the bump from 85 to 92, but it's the Maverick engine minus the tuning.

-Kris

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I changed my oil and filter and 2.1 qts. brought the level to the minimum mark on the dipstick. 2.3 qts. brought it to the maximum level on the dipstick. I had 6 oz. left, so I put that in too, bringing it to a little over maximum. Will see if any blows out.
Siphoned out 6 oz. to be safe. Now the level is at the top mark on dipstick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts