Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 2014 800XT since new and mainly use it for trail riding in Colorado.
I’ve never thought that the engine braking system worked that great. When descending a steep hill I can tell that it holds the machine back at first, but never keeps it as slow as I would like. It just keeps gaining speed and I finally have to get on the brakes to get it under control. This happens in high and low range.

It has about 530 miles on it now and about 70 hours.
I’ve read as many posts as I can find on engine braking, but none of them have helped much on my problem.
What do other think of the engine braking system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,912 Posts
Engine break should be really good in the stock clutch . If it’s speeding up something isn’t right .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment. Around where I ride, there is one guy in the group that has a 2012 800, when I follow him downhill, I never see his brake lights come on. He rode with me today and thought that it did not perform like his does. His and my machine are both stock.
I seem to have all the power I need, so I don’t feel like I have a belt issue.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Thanks for the comment. Around where I ride, there is one guy in the group that has a 2012 800, when I follow him downhill, I never see his brake lights come on. He rode with me today and thought that it did not perform like his does. His and my machine are both stock.
I seem to have all the power I need, so I don’t feel like I have a belt issue.

What acefire said & has the 1 way ever been serviced, if so by who ??. & when mileage wise ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t think the one way bearing has been serviced. I have suspected it might be a possibility. I suspect it has been issue since new, but this was the first Can Am I have owned.

My previous atv was a Polaris 800 Sportsman. It had the EBS feature on it and it seemed to work vary well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What Acefire said. Something must be amiss. I have a stock '12 xt1000, and engine braking is outstanding. It is why I keep my stock clutching in spite of it's other shortcomings.

·
Super Moderator
22,912 Posts

Those little springs and cups are what your looking for. There’s two of each 180° from each other under the oneway bearing .

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
1 thing to note:

Those little springs and cups will launch like a Patriot Rocket when you slide that race forward, so beware of projectiles as they will disappear in a hurry, if you don't capture the little Boogers :sad:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Little Boogers lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dropped it off at a local dealer in Colorado yesterday with instructions to inspect the drive system. I don’t have access to tools and a place to work on it in Colorado, so I am at the mercy of the dealer. Hope I chose wisely!

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
I dropped it off at a local dealer in Colorado yesterday with instructions to inspect the drive system. I don’t have access to tools and a place to work on it in Colorado, so I am at the mercy of the dealer. Hope I chose wisely!

What dealer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took it to Fremont Motorsports, it was the closest dealer to me. I live just north of Salida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
10-4, good luck. I’m just Northeast of Denver in Henderson. If you are up this way and need assistance let me know. I will do what I can just like everyone else I’ve met on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts