Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive had this same problem, issue is the visco lock, it puts all the pressure on the end of the axle behind the c clip. If you want to make it better, go with a halo locker

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had this problem, yes you need a better axle, but the issue is the visco lock. It puts all the pressure on the outer end of the axle by itself ( the small section after the c clip. Only way i got rid of it was to bite the bullet and upgrade to halo locker, awesome people! Then get yourself a good set of axles... american made!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this problem too. I'm running Rhino axles all the way around. This is my 3rd issue with them.

My diff dumped its fluids on the floor because of a hole in it. The end of the axle, between the circlip and the end broke off, fell into the diff and got jammed against the wall of the diff to pop a hole in it. I'm assuming the circlip was eaten up as I didn't find it. Need a new housing and a really good clean up now. Not real impressed with these Rhinos. Not only need a new CV, but a new diff housing too.

·
Super Moderator
24,209 Posts
Yeah the rhino axles can’t handle the 38 hp of a Yamaha rhino . So basically if the axle is cheaper than the stock factory axle it’s junk .

·
Registered
517 Posts
This happened to me also. Only way I found to remove the broken tip and c-clip is to disassemble the diff. Rhino axle as well. Visco lock is NOT the problem, simply piss poor design and heat treat.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I also found a front right axle broken again. Don’t know when it happened, oddly enough. With my Torq-locker it has been twisting the front right splines out by the wheel bearing and not just snapping the tip off. Once again, it was easy to tap out with a long screwdriver.

·
Vendor
335 Posts
This is a notorious issue with with the Can-Am diff. Doesn't matter the brand of axle. If you look across all the different Can-Am forums, you'll see Outlanders, Renegades, Commander's, and TONS of OG Mavericks.....all spinning the tip off the front right axle. Every brand. Doesn't matter. You see where the clip has to be. Its right there on the tip...making that the weakest point. When the diff engages, all the stress is on that little tip, and if it catches it with just enough force it'll either spin the tip off or just booger up the splines.
We have a Hilliard style diff that engages the full length of the spline and takes a bunch of stress of that FR tip.
That issue is going to be around as long as those diffs are still out there. This thread is from 2015, and its still happening today. Our Hilliard style diff, or the full locking diff are the only things that are really going to help. Not everyone out there experiences it....but its been going on for a long long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a new axle and put it in, The first time out the axle slip out just a bit so only one tire spun. I pushed it back in then it happened again.. So I pulled it apart and it turns out the tip of the axle from the cir clip to the end broke off in the diff.. THIS SUCKS .. Any ideas on how to get it out ?
I used a str

21 - 34 of 34 Posts