Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new axle and put it in, The first time out the axle slip out just a bit so only one tire spun. I pushed it back in then it happened again.. So I pulled it apart and it turns out the tip of the axle from the cir clip to the end broke off in the diff.. THIS SUCKS .. Any ideas on how to get it out ?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
1 st.not your lucky day !
Seriously, can you see what is left of the stub or is it IN the Differential, if you can see it you can remove oposite axle and drive it out fromthe good side, if not you have an open it up and get it out situation, got to pull the Diff. to do that.
order up all seals and gaskets in advance, you will need them.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
What brand of China axle did you buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Well someone ripped him off , for what we pay for our parts we buy if gets me mad . A axle slides out and then twists off . It's BS . We can buy a front axle for a 1/2 ton truck cheaper than one for our toys

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Sorry , I had a axle today that didn't fit a rhino and on the box in very small print it said made in China .

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Must have been a Rhino axle. My front Rhino axle broke off in the diff on second ride at about same place as yours did OP. Luckily I a part of it was sticking out just enough to grab it with vise grip pliers. If yours isn't sticking out you can pull the axle on the other side and take a long skinny piece of metal rod and knock it out. The shaft hole isn't like the rear diff that goes all the way thru. I'm think that's how another buddy of mine got his out.
I thru those Rhino POS in the trash and bought Sixity axles and haven't had another issue since in over 4000 miles and I ride in the mud. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Well someone ripped him off , for what we pay for our parts we buy if gets me mad . A axle slides out and then twists off . It's BS . We can buy a front axle for a 1/2 ton truck cheaper than one for our toys

I wasn't disagreeing with you. We get what we pay for!

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Inner parts axles are crap also

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Must have been a Rhino axle. My front Rhino axle broke off in the diff on second ride at about same place as yours did OP. Luckily I a part of it was sticking out just enough to grab it with vise grip pliers. If yours isn't sticking out you can pull the axle on the other side and take a long skinny piece of metal rod and knock it out. The shaft hole isn't like the rear diff that goes all the way thru. I'm think that's how another buddy of mine got his out.
I thru those Rhino POS in the trash and bought Sixity axles and haven't had another issue since in over 4000 miles and I ride in the mud. Good luck with it.
X-2 on the Knock out previously posted.
I run Sixity as well, no issues ever.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
okay happened to me twice, what you do is use a mechanics pick to reach in and grab the clip and bend it, then reach in with a long think peice of metal bent at the end and grab it until it comes out, youll have to play with it for a few minutes, once clip is out have someone spin oposit tire while in the air as you grab it with a magnet until it gets free. sometimes you have to take opposite axle out and hit it out

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
I have seen one where the splines were twisted and then it's a bit of a bugger to remove

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
i seem to have a habit of a good clean break lol

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Ahhh a heavy foot and do it right

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea just take the other side off and it will punch right out same thing happen to me my first axel break (rhino) lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it out by using a dremmel to grind the axle down enough so I could pull the clip down and out then used a welding rod sharpened to a point with a hook bent on the end to stick through the hole in the axle to pull it out. You cant push it through from the other side as there is a bar that is between the axles. You can just barley see the other axle from one side to the other but it is not enough to hit to push it out .. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my stock axles I removed other wheel and axel then got a long skinny screwdriver, then grinded it down so that it was just thin enough to slide past the inner diff pen and knock out the broken piece. I installed Cobra axles in the front and haven't had any problems since. Just remember when you are reinstalling the new axles you must install the driver side first and wheel and tire so that you can rotate it to get the splines to line up when installing the passenger side. It wouldn't hurt to install new differential axel seals while you have it apart.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh sorry I was speaking from my rear dif experience I didn't know there was something between the front dif havet had the plesure of changing that one lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts