Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this setup on their commander? I'm still stock on my suspension, know I need something way better. I would like to try the RT springs with my XT shocks first. But if I later decide I want to try the Elkas the RT springs for the XT setup won't work, the springs for the Elkas are a different setup. The Elkas are desirable to me because they are supposedly better than the Fox 2.0 and with RT springs are about $500 less than the Fox with RT springs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rt springs will sell pretty quick id imagine. On other hand if you know your going to want elka in the long run just start there.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had Elkas on my Grizzly. They changed the dynamics of the ride greatly. Great shocks. And had no trouble selling the Elkas once I sold the Grizz.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Honestly just go for the elkas on rt springs. The xt shocks on rt springs provides an improved ride but still not close to how elkas on those springs woul do

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided I'm going to put the RT springs and lift on my XT shocks for this year. Have a lot of other mods to do and the Elkas aren't cheap. If I'm not satisfied will swap to Elkas next year, should be able to get most of the cost of the RT springs back if I go that route.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've decided I'm going to put the RT springs and lift on my XT shocks for this year. Have a lot of other mods to do and the Elkas aren't cheap. If I'm not satisfied will swap to Elkas next year, should be able to get most of the cost of the RT springs back if I go that route.
Big improvement over stock. You'll be happy.The faster you ride the more you will notice the upgrade. I've been on the lowest setting and no bottoming out yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also was looking into Elka shocks. Sorry if this is a stupid "newbie" question but..... Can this commander ever ride as good as a stock Maverick or RZR with even the best set of Elka shocks? I don't ever rock crawl, do some slower speed forest trails, and the stock XT package is barely adequate for that. When I get on the wide, fast choppy and whooped out stuff, I get my butt kicked. I got a really good deal on this 2016 with just over 500 miles, so I can pony up $3000 for Stage 5's and still be $7 grand under a new model with Fox Podiums. But if that won't get me there, what if anything would? (besides buying a Maverick)

·
Super Moderator
24,084 Posts
With out doing a long travel kit which mine was 4500$ and then shocks and springs . You will not get the commander to run with a Maverik or rzr . It’s a utility short travel suspension system. You can only do so much with a 6” shock stroke . The mav has more travel wider and a longer wheel base . So you can go wider but still limited to shock travel and even with a couple inch longer wheel base it’s still to short.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Makes sense. I appreciate the feedback. So you put about $7-8K into yours? I guess I would have to spend more time with this machine before making that decision, it's still new to me. If I stick with standard suspension is there a better choice for the money than Elka?

·
Super Moderator
24,084 Posts
I can’t from a 800 rzr and didn’t want a 900. And mav was announced the month after I bought the commander. It had 400 miles on it when I done the upgrade . You can put any name brand shock on it and you will pretty much be amazed at the difference. Are elkas any better than the others no. It’s all in who the builder is and if they know the machine and know your exact intentions/ driving style. What you tell them when they build is what you will get. If they are good at what they do. If not then they could possibly be worse than the stock xt suspension. Best way Is buy shocks test springs till you find what you need then send them off to have them built to match the springs and your needs. But not everyone can do it that way. But it also depends on what you are wanting. I do know the RT springs for the commander are great above 25 mph . But they are harsh at lower speeds . And that doesn’t matter what shocks they are out on. That’s why I abandoned them for a completely different setup . When we tested the rt spring we used what we were giving for testing . So they are based on top end running through the woods. Not slow trails or crawling around .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for detailed reply. Under 25 mph I can live with the stock set up. It's the ORV routes in my area (basically the snowmobile trails) that show the weakness. We have either 50" trail, that I can't take this on, or 12' wide multi use trails, that people do 40+ mph, some times 60+ mph. I could have these Elka's set up for high speed performance and live with harsher low speed use. I don't plan on getting much if any air with this. I have other toys for that! The 50" trail around here can get knee deep whoops, but these wider ones are usually groomed often enough to keep them down to 6"or so. The RZRs and Mavs fly over those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts