Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out in the woods doing some ridding this weekend, after about 4-5 hours the radio started to do some funky reboot every time I would adjust the volume up or down. A little while later it just stopped playing music all together.:sad It wouldn't let me shut it off, or turn it back on. I pulled over and turned her all the way off to cool off for 15 mins or so, it still didn't work. The next time i pulled over I tried to find the fuse for the radio, but my fuse cover is all faded, so i just pulled them all to reset it. That didn't work either.
Later on down the trail i came to fallen tree and was going to hook the winch up to it and pull it out of the way, but now my winch switch won't work either ??? I also notice that the high / low beam light switch, sport switch and winch switches where not back lit, and now of them now worked either..:|

So where would you suggest to start chasing down these fun electrical gremlins?
Maybe a bad ground? Bad relay? if so which one?
Would a weak battery do this kind of stuff?

Any ideas?? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thanks for any advise or ideas

·
Super Moderator
24,909 Posts
There is a small fuse block just above the main fuse block. It has three fuses in it . They are the main power fuses for everything . It has a black cover with three letters or maybe even a number . Check those three . And yes low voltage or a bad ground will also cause lots of confusion in the system. Definitely make sure battery is over 12 volts off and 13 to 13.8 running . Check battery terminals and the frame and engine grounds. Engine ground is at the base of the rear cylinder on driver side.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Could that be from the illustrious bad headlight relay like mine Just had?....only mine caused a CEL. If it is, you can get a headlight relay at O'reilly's or NAPA. I just posted about it within the past couple of weeks. If you want to check it you can swap the headlight relay with the brake relay. They are both in the fuse box. Just make sure you put them in the correct way.

Steve

Reactions: russ71 and acefire

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the pics, info and advice. I will check them out tomorrow in the day light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I changed out the 3 big main fuses, got new relays and replaced all the little fuses with new ones. Now the high beams switch and the sport switch work, but still no radio or winch.
What else would they have in common that I should check?

·
Super Moderator
24,909 Posts
Got to have loose connection or shorted wires behind the switch panel . They maybe two separate problem but good place to start is behind the panel .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Update, I changed out the 3 big main fuses, got new relays and replaced all the little fuses with new ones. Now the high beams switch and the sport switch work, but still no radio or winch.

Did you make sure you put the new relays in the proper orientation?

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Did you make sure you put the new relays in the proper orientation?

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yup, as per they what they where already installed and as shown in the pic.
I also charged the battery over night, it was showing fully charged and reading 12.6 after i let it stand for awhile off the charger. With it running at idle it was putting out 13.5 volts.

When i took the switch panel off looking for chaffed wires or shorts I didn't find anything obvious. There was a big plug that wasn't plugged into anything, but i could not find any other plug for it. All the wires seem to run up and behind the glovebox which i started to try and remove :wacko: not as easy as i thought it was going to be.

thanks for all the ideas and suggestions fellas :smile:icon_ rocker:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I might have a relay backwards, now when ever I go to extend the winch it blows a 5Amp fuse and the switch lights go out.
rechecked all my ground points under the dash all tight.

My radio is still just blinking on and off, so i just removed the glovebox and unhooked it for now.

Has any had there Stock Jenson radio just crap out?
or the winch switch go bad?

Would it be possible to get a pic of someones fuse box please? Jus to make sure my relays are in the proper direction?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Was just in there last night chit! So compared to what Ace posted of manual pic and my manual all Amp numbers are orientated to the left/drivers side could be year difference but mine shows F1 40A F2 50a F3 50A

Reactions: WEEZAR

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would be happy to take a pic for you but I just left my commander locked up 4-1/2 hours away. Not sure when I'm going back. On your relay there us only 2 ways it can fit in. Try reversing and see if it makes a difference.

Steve

Reactions: WEEZAR
1 - 15 of 15 Posts