Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2013 Commander Electric and I am thinking of upgrading to Lithium Phosphate (Lifepo4) 48v 200AH) (ten 48v 20AH lifepo4 Batteries) I have experience in DC Motors and Battery Technology. Not so much in AC besides converters/inverters. I just want to have as much as possible figured out before I get into it.

The questions I have are

1) Does anyone know the model and specs on the on-board DC to AC inverter? Does the AC sevcon gen 4 controller switch the current from DC to AC? (input voltage range, output voltage)

2) Are the 12v batteries currently all in parallel outputting 12v 920ah or four and four wired in series then connected in parallel outputting 48v 230ah?

3) Regen Braking How to identify the leads? Output range? The BMS (Battery Management System) on the Lifepo4 can handle a charge while battery is being used. (needs 54.6v charging voltage) (separate lead for charging through BMS) ( I know I can adjust to the appropriate amperage outputted from Regen with the Sevcon 4 gen controller to charge batteries but if they were already within limits for the lifepo4 batteries that would be great) I already wired in the clear view display and increased the allowed top speed to 32 mph and will probably increase again once i install the new batteries. I should be able to adjust the Regen with the clearview as well but not sure what it is labeled and don't want to mess with that until i am sure. If anyone knows feel free to chime in! lol

4) Is regen braking enabled in both low and high speed or is it just enabled in low speed?

5) What are your recommendations and which route would you go? I appreciate any feedback and will accredit your help with my final outcome.

*) I would like to hook up regen braking and solar panels to charge lifepo4 batteries while in use. I have considered leaving two lead acid batteries. The one in the nose and the one under the front of the center console to receive the charge from the regen braking and solar. I like that weight upfront and the ease of charging the lead acid. Also that area has the most chance for water so i probably was not going to use the battery space int the nose anyways. I would then connect the lead acids to a 3000w 12v to 110vac inverter (bought separately) to charge the lithium Phosphates while in use. (all lifepo4 batteries will be in marine waterproof battery boxes)

Thank you,

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You lost me about halfway through the second paragraph, but I'm just a ploomber. : ). Good luck on your quest and again, welcome.

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
Boggie you and I are blue coverall guys , we need nick1993 on this one . I have not every seen him not have a answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome! I was just thinking maybe the AC Sevcon gen 4 controller is changing the current from DC to AC. Like I said earlier not familiar with AC controllers. If this is the case all I need to know is the dc input voltage range. It would be cool If the controller has a variable step up voltage inverter and the motor and controller can take up t 75v which should put speeds into the 40+mph range. Would burn through the battery a lot faster but would be nice to have if needed. I will do some more research on the controller and update my findings. If someone knows please save me the time and post here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lithium Ion battery upgrade for Commander E

Regarding a Lithium Ion battery upgrade for Commander E. Has anyone done this and will the stock charger handle Lithium Ion batteries with reprogramming or must the charger be replaced?

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Commander Electric and I am thinking of upgrading to Lithium Phosphate (Lifepo4) 48v 200AH) (ten 48v 20AH lifepo4 Batteries) I have experience in DC Motors and Battery Technology. Not so much in AC besides converters/inverters. I just want to have as much as possible figured out before I get into it.

The questions I have are

1) Does anyone know the model and specs on the on-board DC to AC inverter? Does the AC sevcon gen 4 controller switch the current from DC to AC? (input voltage range, output voltage)

2) Are the 12v batteries currently all in parallel outputting 12v 920ah or four and four wired in series then connected in parallel outputting 48v 230ah?

3) Regen Braking How to identify the leads? Output range? The BMS (Battery Management System) on the Lifepo4 can handle a charge while battery is being used. (needs 54.6v charging voltage) (separate lead for charging through BMS) ( I know I can adjust to the appropriate amperage outputted from Regen with the Sevcon 4 gen controller to charge batteries but if they were already within limits for the lifepo4 batteries that would be great) I already wired in the clear view display and increased the allowed top speed to 32 mph and will probably increase again once i install the new batteries. I should be able to adjust the Regen with the clearview as well but not sure what it is labeled and don't want to mess with that until i am sure. If anyone knows feel free to chime in! lol

4) Is regen braking enabled in both low and high speed or is it just enabled in low speed?

5) What are your recommendations and which route would you go? I appreciate any feedback and will accredit your help with my final outcome.

*) I would like to hook up regen braking and solar panels to charge lifepo4 batteries while in use. I have considered leaving two lead acid batteries. The one in the nose and the one under the front of the center console to receive the charge from the regen braking and solar. I like that weight upfront and the ease of charging the lead acid. Also that area has the most chance for water so i probably was not going to use the battery space int the nose anyways. I would then connect the lead acids to a 3000w 12v to 110vac inverter (bought separately) to charge the lithium Phosphates while in use. (all lifepo4 batteries will be in marine waterproof battery boxes)

Thank you,
bump from the past, but how did you get 32 mph out of it exactly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
bump from the past, but how did you get 32 mph out of it exactly?
RPM limit is one of the drive profile settings in Sevcon motor controller. On Ranger I had 7000RPM as max for high mode, which was putting out a little bit under 25MPH. I was skeptical that it was actually doing 7000RPM (that's a lot, even if there was a significant reduction in the transmission; one endess-sphere user did a calculation based on gearing, suggesting 55MPH would only be around 5000RPM), so I bumped up mine to 8000RPM to test out the theory that there might be a limit at play induced by the vehicle control module. Now this is probably the biggest difference between Commander and Ranger, the vehicle control module, so it may require an additional investigation in Commander case, but Ranger's VCM has a hall effect input on one of the pins, and my suspicion is it may be limiting RPMs of the motor there as opposed to in Sevcon. Either way I will know this weekend :)

Note of caution: Most of these motors aren't supposed to exceed 7000RPM, some of them are even labeled as 6400RPM max. Going above those ratings can cause permanent damage to the motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So yes, bumping RPM limit in Sevcon motor controller from 7000 to 8000 increased the speed in Ranger from 25MPH to 31-32MPH. But like I said earlier,
that is not a safe modification, and can lead to motor damage.

To my knowledge Polaris uses two different motors in their Ranger vehicles made by ABM and Schabmueller. First one is specifically labeled as 6400RPM max,
second one (which I happen to have) doesn't have such info on the label.

I believe one of those two motors is also used in Commander, but can't find the pictures right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts