Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to get this fixed on my commander the cover ripped about a year ago and and the seat pan is cracked am i better off just to buy the full bottom peice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
That seat pan is plastic, right? If so, I think what I would try first is to clean with rubbing alcohol, drill numerous holes on either side of the crack, stitch back together with zipties (heads on the inside) and reinforce with epoxy or epoxy and fiber cloth. Then cut some foam and buy a new seat cover. Or have an upholstery shop fix the foam and cover. I replaced a seat cover with an oem one a few years ago and it seems like it was $45-50.

OTOH, the whole new seat bottom would be much simpler, just pricey.

Edit: Looks like the bottom seat cover went up to $72.99, at least on partshark.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i seen it was 75 for a cover just wasnt sure what to do about the missing foam and i heard putting a new cover on is a pain ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
There’s a video of a guy redoing the foam where chunks are out of it on a Honda atc 70. It’s a bit of work. But he makes it look easy. I did a simpler repair on a bigger Honda seat.

The commander covers are not hard to put on at all though, at least I don’t recall it being. There’s a plastic part that kinda snaps in place all the way around.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tried the epoxy on a crack like that and had no luck. I cut a thin piece of metal to the proper size, put automotive panel adhesive on the back, stuck it over the crack then put a few 3/16s rivets in what looked like the necessary spots. So far it's held up for about a year.
After patching you can always switch it out with the passenger side one so that the repaired area is next to the console instead of being the place that catches the most weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That seat pan is plastic, right? If so, I think what I would try first is to clean with rubbing alcohol, drill numerous holes on either side of the crack, stitch back together with zipties (heads on the inside) and reinforce with epoxy or epoxy and fiber cloth. Then cut some foam and buy a new seat cover. Or have an upholstery shop fix the foam and cover. I replaced a seat cover with an oem one a few years ago and it seems like it was $45-50.

OTOH, the whole new seat bottom would be much simpler, just pricey.

Edit: Looks like the bottom seat cover went up to $72.99, at least on partshark.com
[/QU I went to the auto store and bought a quart can of fiberglass a kit, reinforced not more problems. partszilla is great place to get parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts