Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi @ all from Germany!

These days it becomes colder and colder and so i started to build my own CAB.

All materials (waterproof fabric, Velcro, transparent foil, zippers...) are bought from ebay, together less than 100€.
I´ve never sewn before - But it´s easy! Needs a little time to understand the machine, but i´m sure everyone can do this.

It´s quite comfortable inside even on lower temperatures.
My first test was a 35min. ride at about 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit) in shorts!!! And it was no problem - the engine blows enough heat in the cab! :cool:

In case of questions - contact me...

Best regards @ all
Kai

Hmm, i need 3 posts before i´m able to post pics? crazy..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Beautiful job! German engineering.... :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
damn man! looks great! I am a fan of german engineering! (great cars and great beer!!) now even more so! lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
are you gonna sell plans on making that kit?

·
Registered
319 Posts
nice job im impressed it was less than 100 dollars to do that wow could u give us more details in what u extactly used and how long it took? I was looking at buying a cab but if i could do it this way that would be great i think i could sew lol!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More information

Uhh, thanks a lot for your praise and all the nice answers.
I don´t wont to sell anything - I can give you all informations and what you need...

More information about the project:

Windows are made with "Achilles Vinistar" foil 0.5mm thick (Usually used for windows of tents)

Fabric is strong Nylon, coated with Polyurethan (100% Waterproof)
You can find it at Ebay.de with searchstrings "schwarz segeltuch verdeck reißfest wasserdicht stoff"

Zipper is a Heavy Duty YKK 10mm CFO-105 (Used for Boats or Trailers)
YKK FASTENING PRODUCTS GROUP / The finest zipper company since 1945

And the most special of all: the sewing thread is a fishing line :)
It´s the DSM Dyneema fishing line (Dyneema Home) - They call it "The worlds strongest fiber" nearly

undestroyable, saltwater resistant
and it worked very good on my small sewing machine :)

I attached the parts with very good VELCRO (self adhesive on the Commander and sewable on the fabric)
Withstands 75 MPH without any problems!

For all the work i need about 40-50 hours (remember: i never used a sewing machine before)
For those who have experience with sewing it should be done in less than 3 days..

Thanks again
and good luck for all!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Nice job. Do you know that the neoprene seal on the bottom of your windshield is suppose to be on top to seal the factory roof? Or did you just add another piece on the bottom.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sweet Look and very ingenius

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job. Do you know that the neoprene seal on the bottom of your windshield is suppose to be on top to seal the factory roof? Or did you just add another piece on the bottom.
Thanks for the information! (That´s really new for me) I mounted it without a discription or a manual from canam :unsure:
I use the big neoprene seal at the bottom because it prevents that water flows into the cabin. It´s working well.. On the Top i use a Velcro-Strap, this is a good connection to the front-roof and even a good seal.

@zerolock
i designed the pattern for the pieces by myself - It´s easy:
I mounted the fabric temporary with tape and followed the contours with a marker..

Thanks again for all the positive reaction.

Now i´m waiting for the first snow in Germany :icon_ banana:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts