Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished wiring in a relay/fuse box for my add on accessories. Everything went great. Pulled the machine out to work on something else, but when I cranked it later the display lights up but I can't read anything. If I look from top angle I can barely read it so it is working, but the words are so dim you can't read when sitting. Anyone had this happen? Thoughts? I've checked all fuses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's tight. What is weird is I had drove the machine out in my yard and everything was fine. When I went back later to crank it up and pull it back in is when it wouldn't work anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got my slow charger on it, I'll try unplugging tomorrow if that doesn't work. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No dice this morning. Slow charged all night. Runs fine, but display is still too dim to use. Like I said, it is working, but you can only read looking down from top and just barely.

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Strange normal when they go out you can see anything . Retrace you’re stepped when installing the accessories. Maybe you bumped a ground wire while doing your installs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was my first thought. I've rechecked everything, and have tried with and without the new stuff hooked up. If I only connect my switch and start button, no change. This is beyond weird. Do you know where the display unplugs? I followed the wires into driver footwell where they just go into a bigger harness then no idea from there.

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
If you check those pins and power is good and ground is good I would say cluster has died.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll check. I did get it unplugged and checked that I had a good ground. I'll check out the other pins here in a bit, thank you all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only thing I found was the ground for the fuel gauge doesn't seem to be grounded. But, I did a bypass and ground that pin independently with everything hooked up and nothing changed. I'm thinking the display has gotten damaged somehow when I was doing the wiring. Maybe time to change over to an XT cluster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty decent with electronics (I own a mechanic/appliance repair business.) Opened up the display and looks as if I may have a blown tracing 😔. Thanks again, if anyone has an XT cluster, let me know.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The ground for the fuel guage isn't actually grounded, but the other end of a rheostsat, so you're probably good there. Clusters are married to the ECU with P.U.D.S., unless you get a used cluster from the same model buggy. With that said, I'd probably want an analog/digital guage too. Seems like someone on here before said that the LCD guage doesn't even give the temperature display?:( fuel guage.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts