Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I have the torq lock. Seems good. To me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Lol. No, I don’t know how it works. Sorry. Someone who does will speak up.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
To the question, there’s some good videos of it on YouTube and some in depth discussion on here that explains it pretty good, much better than I can. But I think it works like a Detroit locker. Neither tire can ever slip, but one can turn faster than the other so it’s not as hard to turn the steering wheel. Because of that, it will corner fine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Also, superatv makes a locker which works just like polaris’ locker. And I guess halo still makes their locker. Both of those have a second switch you flip. They are considerably more expensive than the torq locker.

The cheapest locker is a little plate that just mechanically locks both sides. But I cannot imagine anyone wanting that for any machine other than a dedicated mud bogger.

That’s the 4 lockers that I’ve heard of.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Under power, the diff locks the front axle shafts together. While coasting, they unlock. Forwards or backwards has no effect. If you want to turn sharp you need to be coasting or switch to 2wd, otherwise the machine will want to push straight.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Under power, the diff locks the front axle shafts together. While coasting, they unlock. Forwards or backwards has no effect. If you want to turn sharp you need to be coasting or switch to 2wd, otherwise the machine will want to push straight.
From their literature and discussions, I was under the impression that one tire could turn faster than the other, hence the ratcheting action of the locker. That is, neither wheel can ever turn slower than the input power of the driveshaft into the diff, but one can turn faster like when you are steering and one wheel is pushed faster than the other. I thought that was the point of the ratcheting action of the internals of the locker. Is that incorrect?

I'm very interested in this, as I've been wanting one. How do you like yours?

·
Vendor
379 Posts
From their literature and discussions, I was under the impression that one tire could turn faster than the other, hence the ratcheting action of the locker. That is, neither wheel can ever turn slower than the input power of the driveshaft into the diff, but one can turn faster like when you are steering and one wheel is pushed faster than the other. I thought that was the point of the ratcheting action of the internals of the locker. Is that incorrect?

This is how ours works. Its the Hilliard style diff, with a sprague, rollers, and armature inside. It allows the ratcheting action inside that makes it possible for the axles to remain engaged and turn at different speeds for easier turning. We also have the rapid engagement diff upgrade that locks at 1/2 turn, instead of 3 or 4 like the OEM. Honestly, the Hilliard style SwifTrac diff, Polaris style, is pretty awesome. I know it hurts to say Polaris style anything over here, but the Hilliard model is pretty brilliant. We can just call it the Hilliard style, and leave out Polaris anything. Lol! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Why does the listing for your locker say 2013 and newer? I have an 11. I cannot think what is different up front between an 11/12 and a 13 plus???

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

This is still true. When you start to turn in 4wd under power, the inside tire needs to slow down compared to the drive shaft, so it locks in. If you are coasting or decelerating, the diff will decouple both front wheels and allow them to ratchet. In 2wd they will ratchet under all conditions and be independent of each other. I will post a video of my machine with one wheel in the air. All 4 tires spin in the mud until I let off the gas, then the one front wheel in the air will spin on its own for several minutes even with the engine off. Hit the gas again and they both spin.

The locker is awsome. Easily the best mod I’ve made to the machine and has increased its mud and rock crawling capability by 100%. It is amazing how much momentum is lost with the viscolok when the tire slips even a tiny bit.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate your explanation and look forward to the video.

I have stuck mine before where I would have gotten through on my Rhino because the visco hadn’t had a chance to lock.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
If your interested I will sell you my Torqmasters locker .
I am using my halo again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts