Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That should be ok. I'm guessing you may have flipped the stator housing on re-assembly. I'm thinking that is a permanent magnet motor. I looked for my old parts to see, but I must have thrown most of it away. I saved just the end plate/brush assembly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, you're talking about the metal ring with the magnets around the outside. Good possibility that I flipped it. I didn't realize that it was something that I should have noted.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Magnets should have been around the inside. :) Whenever I take a motor apart, I mark the front end bell to stator with 1 alignment mark, and the back bell to stator with 2 marks before dis-assembly. That assures correct re-assembly, whether it's critical or not. I hope you gave the bearings a touch of lube while exposed.....it was probably their last chance. Is it still stalling?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you for the explanation sir!

The bearings were kinda sealed up pretty well. I did put some lube on them though.
Seems to have helped some. It's not killing it like it was. You can still definitely feel/hear in the idle when it kicks on but not to the extent that it did. Not real sure why it helped but it seems to a little bit. maybe just crud in there? I flushed it all out really well with some contact cleaner while I had it apart. Got alot of black dust out of it for sure. The brushes were still probably 3/4" long total. Plenty of meat on them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We'll, after a long ride tonight with the lights on, I still have a problem. It still hits hard when the fan kicks on. If your wearing your seat belt, it hesitates enough it'll catch ya when the fan kicks in @30mph. What else should I check?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You might check your fan fuse for signs of overheating, etc. Might look at your fuse links, too, for like signs. Without a diagram, I don't know which one feeds the fan relay. Just things to look at.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Gesture Font

·
Registered
257 Posts
You could try a jumper wires directly from the battery to the fan with the machine running and see if the same symptoms occur. I would unplug the fan and run both + and - jumper wires from the battery. This will eliminate all internal wiring, ECU, fuses and relays.

Reactions: HaleYes

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Plant Grass Finger Thumb Terrestrial plant

Electrical wiring Gas Circuit component Electrical supply Electronic component

Can I replace this fancy ceramic jobbie with a plain ol 25 amper without any I'll side effects?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You can. That ceramic fuse is a resettable thermal fuse. It is designed to tolerate temporary overcurrent conditions. If it does trip, after cooling down and cycling power, it will reset. The original 2011 commander used a standard 30 amp fuse instead of this 25 thermal. This 25 protects the wiring better while allowing re-use. If you try the standard fuse and your problem goes away, that of course tells you the thermal fuse guts are degraded.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts