Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed that I can fell a "lunge" or a drop of power very quickly when cruising at 30-40mph. Kinda feels like you let off of the throttle for a split second. I got to watching my voltage read out on my USB plug and found that the voltage drops tremendously when the fan kicks on. Sometimes it will go as los as 11 VDC. Voltage does recover quickly. Quickly as in 5-6 seconds. Battery is a brand spankn new Interstate. I replaced it as it was getting slow crank and it was the OG battery that came with the machine. Had the same problem with the OG battery and thought this might solve my problem so...I figured that it'd had a pretty good run and was time for a replacement. Playing around, I let it set and idle until it got hot enough for the fan to kick on and it died. It'll fire right back up but at idle the voltage drop kills the engine. Fan seems to work just fine. Doesn't seem to be making any noise or anything out of the ordinary. Voltage regulator? Think the fan drawing too many amps?

·
Administrator
27,472 Posts
Can you turn fan freely no drag by hand. Should be able to flick fan with finger and it should have little to no resistance.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will spin by hand. I don't feel any grinding or binding. It does not spin for along time with a flip of the finger but it dosen't stop immediately either.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped some relays. I can say that it does still have a hiccup when the fan kicks on. However, it's not as severe and it didn't kill it. As for the questionable relays new location, I've not seen anything noticeable yet. I've not had a chance to do much "testing" though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no update other than what I've already said. Just haven't had time to ride the dagum thing. Too busy carting the kid around Southern Illinois shooting trap! :rolleyes:

Reactions: acefire

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, after a long ride yesterday........it's still doing it. No real noticeable change. Wondering if the fan itself is going south.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do I have to remove or at atleast unbolt the radiator to get this dangum fan out? Sure seems to be the case.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the radiator AND the fan out of this thing..........Fan pulls 20A for a 2-3 seconds @ 13V. Then stabilizes to about 12A.
Does that seem normal? It does spin freely but when you flick it, it doesn't spin long. Doesn't feel gritty or like bad bearings at all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Troy I seen where you repalced the brushes. I got mine apart and everything looks just fine to me. How in the world do you get the darn thing back together?!? I've worked for 2 hours to get the 4 springs and brushes back on the armature and it seems impossible. There has to be a trick.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Something to try:
Push each brush and spring individually into it's holder until flush, and loop a small string around the wire connected to the back of the brush and the wire at the back of the brush holder. Tape these strings to the back of the end bell. If you don't have sticky enough tape, tie a knot to the top of the loop where you can reach in with a pocket knife after putting the armature in. After all 4 are fastened, put the armature in, pull the tape or cut the knots, pull the strings out, and install the stator and other end bell. Bread loaf twisties may be used instead of string if they're not over-twisted and can be pulled out easy enough.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Mr. Ham. I actually just got it back together.
What I did was to use the braid on the brush to my advantage. I broke a small piece of toothpick and used the braid to "pull back" on the brush. I wedged each toothpick in the other wires in the bell end. Once I got the armature barely started into the brushes, I had my son use a tiny pair of needlenose to pull each of the 4 toothpicks out then it popped right into place. I was a bit of a delicate procedure but it worked first try.
I'm putting it back together now. I'm fairly confident that the fan is just fine. Brushes had tons of meat left and no rust at all. Everything spun freely. I did clean it out with some contact cleaner while I had it apart. Wasn't bad at all though.
I'm wondering if the voltage regulator is my issue now.

Still open for suggestions! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does this fan pull from the radiator or push through the radiator? It's most defiantly pushing air through it now. I didn't mess with the wiring at all. I thought it pulled air through the radiator.........scratching my head.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It pulls......front to back. Did you mark the relationship of stator to end bells before re-assembly? Charging voltage sounds good.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It pulls......front to back. Did you mark the relationship of stator to end bells before re-assembly? Charging voltage sounds good.
I did not. I sure hope I don't have to take it apart again..............Please tell me I don't...... I honestly don't even know what you mean.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not. I sure hope I don't have to take it apart again..............Please tell me I don't...... I honestly don't even know what you mean.
With that said, I took the connector apart and switched polarity. Fan spins correctly now but.........please let me know if that's a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts