Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I drove one a few weeks ago. Was going to get the new Honda Pioneer 1000, but the Defender changed my mind after testing both. Ordered the Defender HD10 XT CAB, should be here early to mid February. For what I want, I believe it will be considerably better than my 2014 Commander 1000 XT with hard Cab. Way quieter, far better clutching setup, way less cab heat in the summertime, far superior cab interior (the absolute best to come out yet). And maintenance should be a dream compared to the Commander. And, an already available mounting kit is all I'll need to mount the Apache 360 LT track kit on the machine. I think the Commander is sleeker looking, but with the optional front bumper the Defender looks pretty good. Will do pictures and a mountain riding report if it ever gets here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you get let us know all the pros and cons. It will be a few months before I pull the trigger on one, just want to be sure it is the one I want. I have had a Yamaha grizzly for over 15 years now and I will keeping the SxS just as long

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will do that. With the 3 year warranty and ease of maintenance, I'll probably be keeping it a long time too. From the you tube videos and reviews I've seen, plus my own drive of the DPS HD10, I think it is exactly what I've been wishing for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have any idea of the top speed of the HD10? I also have a commander but it has close to 10000 kms on it and Im thinking of picking up a defender in the spring....

Thanks,

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do not know the top speed, where I drove it was in town. I have not heard a delivery date for my XT CAB yet. I will probably do some running of it for awhile before installing the track kit on it. At the rate it's getting here, I might not put the track kit on this winter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update. Now the dealer is saying mid to late March. At the rate Can-Am is going, they should call it an early release 2017. All the Defender models, to my knowledge, are now available in short supply except the Defender XT CAB.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Love my Defender xt,only have 70 miles on it.the power is awesome, tons of low end,great machine overall.after driving it uploadfromtaptalk1457063840132.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457063851992.jpg sold my ranger to buy one.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Why don't you have any miles on it . I went out on Sunday for a tour and I put on 120 miles in a afternoon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Troy, he probably doesn't have all that wonderful Canadian Crown land to drive on like some lucky folks have. Anyway, it looks like he's been spending most of his spare time mounting some cool accessories.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
If I didn't need money for food I could ride every day and not get sick of it . And all the crown land is a big plus . I would like to be a snobird where I would miss the winters . But once the winter is gone it's hard to beat a billion square miles to explore

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only had it a couple of weeks, no time to ride now with my sons baseball and working Saturday's. and yes broke from accessories. Maybe I'll start a go fund me account for gas money

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Defender XT CAB HD10 finally arrived. Had one 50 mile ride so far and am very impressed with the machine. Rides about the same as my 2014 Commander 1000. The cab and cab heating system is great. The clutching is far better than my Commander. Smooth engagement (no jerking). You can even keep it at 1 to 2 MPH in low range. Probably has to be the most refined vehicle of its type on the market. Cab is very quiet when compared to any other full hard cab S X S on the market. Factory installed cab and heating REALLY does make a difference. Was only 86 dbA at 40 MPH, progressively less as speeds went down.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
I'm glad you like it , it sure looks like a ranger

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Troy. It will look better when I put other tires and wheels on it. Also, the fender extensions don't help its looks. Sure is nice not having the excessive cab heat my Commander has.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I love that bumper on that black defender it's the shiznit. Are the extensions on the sides around lights or new bumper? That extreme bumper is sweet too

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Defender AKA Forcasting the future !!!

BRP has promised a new toy every 6 months for next Four (4) years.
The defender and the new 6 X 4 are Two (2)
I am predicting the Commander as we know it will be gone maybe by 2018 model or sooner, it will be a REAL ATV Defender & a REAL Sport Maverick ATV.
Kind of like the Basakwards Polaris line up, now they have the General which is currently marketed as a face off against the Commander And the Defender
Although BRP is a Multi Billion Dollar Company, Polaris publicly acknowledged they did TWO (2) BILLION in ATV sales in 2015
That's BILLION with a Capitol "B"
I know this has been run up the pole before BUT, it is getting closer to the truth, the Commander as we now know it is doomed.
Just look at the aftermarket Parts and goodies available for the Polaris and even now the Maverick VS what is available for the Commanders, vendors are dwindling down.
"You can say you READ it here" :unsure:

·
Registered
51 Posts
The bumper is the same as snows, i added the extreme bumper plates and headlight guards. You got lucky on that xt cab, takes two months to get one around here. Very nice machine.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts