Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just purchased a 2019 Defender HD5 DPS in February of 2020. I purchased the HD5 because of the size of the vehicle/box and the low cost. I shopped most brands and settled on the Can-Am after lots of research. I have been a motorcycle rider all my life and this is the 1st ATV or side by side I have owned.
I like the machine very well so far. I have 10 acres of woods on the Olympic peninsula in WA State. I plan to mostly use the unit for work around the property, but will also use it for some recreation.
I added the Eco/Normal/Work Mode switch which made bumpy trails much more enjoyable. I also added rearview mirrors and removed the nets.
My only complaint so far is that the locked rear axle tears up the lawn near the house if I am not careful. Has anyone came up with a way to unlock the rear-end? By either using a different differential or perhaps adding some kind of locking hub on one of the wheels?

Thanks Norm

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
You can see you can find a wrecked power train from the larger defender as they have a option of locking/ unlocking the rear axle . Only option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can see you can find a wrecked power train from the larger defender as they have a option of locking/ unlocking the rear axle . Only option

This wont work as the hd8 and hd10 use a transaxle and the hd5 uses an engine/transmission combo with a differential.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Sorry, I have not ever looked at a HD5 .
If it has the same ratio as the commander find a diff from a mander that had the lockable option.
I think it only was around for a couple years

1 - 7 of 7 Posts