Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Too loud! It is probably the quietest SxS I have used besides a Bad Boy electric.
Although I do agree it would be nice to have them as quiet as my truck.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Too loud! It is probably the quietest SxS I have used besides a Bad Boy electric.
I agree 110%. I think we are expecting too much nowadays......go drive an old Yamaha Rhino and you'll be pleased with the Defender noise levels!

I personally am looking into having an LTE exhaust system I bought from a RZR 900 retro-fitted to my Defender. I like a little rumble myself!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I'll agree that the engine is probably quieter than most. But it's everything else that makes it loud I guess.

I did install the Kolpin add-on muffler. It got quieter, no doubt about that. Not sure it got $100.00 quieter, but it did get quieter. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
My xt model,,,stock tires,,,,at 30 mph on the road,,,tires make more noise than the engine.

At 40 mph and faster you can start to hear the rotax rumble.
But this is what happens when you have POWER.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SMH, compared to many Commander and my Outlander the Defender seems to be the quietest of all them. Not sure if you have owned another UTV before?

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
If you want loud , put a full cab on a older commander . You can't hear a ssv stereo cranked wide open if your going over 40 mph . You would need to text the person beside you , because you can't yell loud enough for them to hear you .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I am looking for aftermarket quiet muffler any ideas? Or if someone has a used OEM muffler I would consider. I have a aftermarket that is way too loud and don’t have the stock one anymore. ??‍♂ Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey guys I am looking for aftermarket quiet muffler any ideas? Or if someone has a used OEM muffler I would consider. I have a aftermarket that is way too loud and don’t have the stock one anymore. ??‍♂ Thanks
What kind of muffler do you have?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Hey guys I am looking for aftermarket quiet muffler any ideas? Or if someone has a used OEM muffler I would consider. I have a aftermarket that is way too loud and don’t have the stock one anymore. Thanks
Just so you know if you put anything on it that’s quieter than the stock muffler you will start losing power. The engine is tuned for factory muffler .

·
Registered
2 Posts
yea I agree I have a tuner but want to go back to stock. So will see if anyone on here want to upgrade theirs! Thanks
Hi, when I want to make a "silent ride" on german streets I will install my extra muffler from a car, a "Citroen C1". You only need a cutting disk, a metal saw, metal perforated tape, two exaust clamps, two bolts with nuts, two rubber buffers to fix the extra muffler under the loading area and a 90-degree angel exaust pipe elbow. It take less then one hour to install it first and then less then 5 Minutes to install / uninstall it again. The Citroen C1 had an Engine nearly like the defender HD-10 and I never regard any loss of power. But what a different sound level ! The only thing is that you can not tilt the loading area during the extra muffler is installed...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone got an aftermarket muffler solution to quiet the HD-10 down?
While agree it is quieter than most it still registers 90 decibels on my sound meter. Anything over 80 for 60 minutes causes permenant hearing loss. My three kids often ride with me. Not too worries about me but I am about my kids.

seems odd BRP would even put out a product above acceptable guidelines that will cause permenant hearing loss…. Any other solutions than “I like the rumble” lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts