Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few ask and seen several posts for people curious about the bus bar located under the dash of the defender to hook accessories up to rather than running wires all they way back to the battery especially with us defender max guys ... 13' of fun but not fun with running wires that far ha ha ..... there could be a post like this already but I havent ran across it so i figured I'd start one or another one for that matter .... I walked over to my cousins and took pics of his XT's bus bar and also pics of my DPS's ... when u look under the dash directly behind the rocker switch panel where ur diff lock ,4x4 and for the guys who have it eco mode switches are located ull see a black cover that says GEP ... it just pops off and suspends its self and theres ur bus bar right there ... pretty easy to get to ... the first pics of the xt show that the factory installed winch has a second bus bar system (the red bars ) that connects to the defenders bus bar and the second pics are of my personal dps that u can see only has the factory bus bar plus u can see where I have ran accessory power to it .... as for the CAB model guys I havent personally got to check it out but I heard theres alot more in the way of the bus bar and it's not as easily accessible... but if ur bummed about that at least u have a warm ass out there right now ... its 5 degrees here and were frozen ridin around ha ha ... but it definitely dosent stop us

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had a few ask and seen several posts for people curious about the bus bar located under the dash of the defender to hook accessories up to rather than running wires all they way back to the battery especially with us defender max guys ... 13' of fun but not fun with running wires that far ha ha ..... there could be a post like this already but I havent ran across it so i figured I'd start one or another one for that matter .... I walked over to my cousins and took pics of his XT's bus bar and also pics of my DPS's ... when u look under the dash directly behind the rocker switch panel where ur diff lock ,4x4 and for the guys who have it eco mode switches are located ull see a black cover that says GEP ... it just pops off and suspends its self and theres ur bus bar right there ... pretty easy to get to ... the first pics of the xt show that the factory installed winch has a second bus bar system (the red bars ) that connects to the defenders bus bar and the second pics are of my personal dps that u can see only has the factory bus bar plus u can see where I have ran accessory power to it .... as for the CAB model guys I havent personally got to check it out but I heard theres alot more in the way of the bus bar and it's not as easily accessible... but if ur bummed about that at least u have a warm ass out there right now ... its 5 degrees here and were frozen ridin around ha ha ... but it definitely dosent stop us
Nice, thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is dumb question to you who knows more about the wiring. But I see the big red and black wires in your pictures. What is the smaller red wire used for?

·
Registered
233 Posts
As an owner of a cab model I can tell you getting to the buss bar is no picnic, you have to loosen the factory heater and move it forward to get to the lugs. If you decide to do this my suggestion is to hook up the three wires(on is constant hot, one is keyed hot, one is ground) and install another buss bar in a more convenient location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To kjs question ... I believe what ur seeing with the small red wire is the furthest back post on the bus bar that is key on power the middle post with large red wire is constant hot and of course black wire post is ground

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I am installing a Boss Audio MCBK420B MCBK420B | Boss Audio Systems
I want to wire the power into one of the ignition wires that is hot when the key is in ACC...
Here is where i am..
I found a brown and white wire that comes off the back of the ignition, it is hot when the key is in ACC position.
I found a "not in use" aux plug that is only hot when the key is in the ON position....just like the cigarette lighter plug right next to it.
My goal is to have the AMP turn on in the ACC position, the power cable to the AMP has a 7.5amp inline fuse.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I guess I'm missing your question, You said you found a brown/white wire that is powered in the ACC position, is that not what your looking for? Just make sure the power does not go off when the machine is running or your amp will only work in the ACC position. Also you might want to mention what year/model Defender you have, so people will know what one you are talking about as the defenders change every year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks Tuck11...it is a 2017 HD8 MAX
The brown and white wire is hot in both ACC and ON, just trying to decide if i want to want the power wire from the AMP to this brown and white wire (so the AMP will run in ACC key position) or just wire it to the BUS (which is only hot in ON key position). Only reason to wire the AMP to the brown white wire is the assumption that ACC draws less total power from the battery than the ON position.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I wired my amp i wired to the key on post, my radio and my amp both come on when the key is in the on position, for some reason when my key is off and I go to the ACC position my radio will not work however when my machine is running and I turn it off and go to the ACC position instead of the off position my radio still works, There must be a relay that stays engaged until the key is in the off position.
I think you'll be fine if you wire your radio and amp to the key on post of your buss bar.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just remembered I use the amp on lead from the radio to turn my amp on and run the hot wire from the to the always on post of the buss bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts