Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to remove a bolt that is stuck in the CVT cover?? The one at the 6oclock position is stuck and is spinning the insert.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
If you can't find a better way in your search, put a driver on the bolt head and spin it with an electric drill or 1/4 impact driver until the friction heats the plastic around the nutsert enough to pull it out of the cvt air guide. It doesn't take long. Then take the cover off and you can hold the nutsert with pliers or vise grips while you unscrew the nutsert and bolt. You can the either jbweld the nutsert back into the airguide or use a off the shelf bolt, nut and washers (stainless) with some silicone to fill in the space around the washer. Mine was that way for awhile until I got around to getting a new airguide which requires pulling the secondary and both parts of the primary.

On the good bolts and nutserts use antiseize and torque to 61 to 62 inch pounds.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you can guard the plastic with a piece of sheet metal or something suitable you could eat the end of the bowl for a short time with a very hot torch and then shock it with cold water immediately after that hit it with a impact gun. I am Emphasizing The words short and very hot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fixing stripped CVT cover nut

What is the best way to remove a bolt that is stuck in the CVT cover?? The one at the 6oclock position is stuck and is spinning the insert.
Thanks in advance.
Had this same problem on the lower rear most bolt. Didn't want to through bolt it because that would necessitate skid plate removal to pull the cover.

Once I got the original insert out, used a long bolt with some needle nose vise grips on it and spun a 6m nut onto it. With a water soaked rag handy, used butane torch to heat the nut up almost red hot. Pulled it into the cover and immediately hit it with the cold water. Seems to have embedded itself in there quite nicely.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts