Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a commander with the cage cut down 4 inches and gotta have that look, much better in my opinion, after the clean up from the hurricane I plan to lay the blade to the cage, might even cut the seat brackets down to.
Stay tune guy's

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear you have been affected by the weather. I hope you and yours are safe. Look forward to the picts. Boog.
Yeah we lost power for 21 hr's thank goodness for a generator, but other than yard clean up I should be good to go.
The 1st time I saw a Commander my 1st thought was the cage was to high, after putting 2" wheel spacer's on mine and cutting the cage down it will give it a better look, even the per portions out a bit as they say....
I'm only 5.7 so it should effect me at all....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey ace,

Is that yours? I love the graphics on the side.

Steve

·
Registered
543 Posts
ever since i got my commander i've thought that the cage would look better & possibly be a bit stronger if it was 3 inches shorter.also wonder how it would align to the stock frame mounts if cut due to the different angles at the front compared to the rear.??Ace, do you have any pictures of the finished product?

·
Super Moderator
23,482 Posts
That’s big reds project I just posted the pics for him. As for the angles you can’t cut it down at the mount you have to cut section out like in the pics. Do to the geometry of the cage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1st off I would like to thank Acefire for downloading my pics.
I got 15 hrs in this, and counts for removing the top and stereo system and the speaker pods, I cut 4 inches out of the 4 rear down tubes and 2 3/4 out of the front tubes, I cut 5/8 of an inch out of the 6 pieces I removed from the cage. Pay attention to the pics, I drilled 1/4 holes in the ends of tubes where they would meet. I did this to weld the sleeves where I could tap them around as needed to line up the 4 rear tubes. Luckily I have a lift in my shop so I raised the cage up and pushed the buggy underneath the cage. Then I begin lining up the 4 tubes, after that I did a good solid tack on all 4 tubes. Then I moved to the front and unbolted the bottom front tubes from the frame. I put the sleeves into place and slid them into the bottom of the down tubes, then I started the bolts back into where the tubes mount up. After checking the alignment I did a good solid tack on both tubes. When I was sure that the alignment and fitment was good I begin welding all the tubes up solid. I used 030. wire with 75/25 unix, welding gas. Then I just took my 90 degree grinder and used a 60 grid flapper wheel disc to removed the highrise of the beeds from the welds. Tomorrow I will prime and paint the cage Red.
I hope these pics and instructions of how I did this helps someone else accomplish this. As you see I had removed the seats and placed thick cardboard over the cockpit area and over the plastic to prevent any burns.
Ok guys dont be affraid to do this. A welder, cut off wheels and side grinder and a cordless drill and some common sense is about all you need.
Thanxs for reading and looking at the pics Acefire posted for me.
I believe this made a huge difference in the look of my commander.
This same technique applys to the mavrick too.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I like it!! I need to hire ace to come finish up a few projects I have and start some new ones!! I wonder if he would take a nice pair of boots I stole from some west Virginia fella as payment?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Dayum put it under the knife!! I like the look but will not mate up well with my flip open shield and rear window/ said the hell with the screen
Nice work Big Red oh and 2 thumbs up on the graphics!!!

:wink

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I gotta tell you...I'm not a big 'chop top' guy but that looks SHARP!!!!

I absolutely love the graphics on the side too. Where did you get them?

Again...great job!!!

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Hey there, big red! I noticed in one of your pictures that you are missing your hood and have hillbillied something together with some sort of screen and yellow tape. There is some guy on the forum that is selling his carbon fiber hood at a reasonable price. I just thought I would let you know. Boog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts