Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall,I backed into a tree the other night on a ride.lucky enough i was going slow, and the plasti dip really held up and kept me from scratching my tailgate, but thinking the past few days while im stuck off in west texas working. I really want to build a custom rear bumper for my commander. I saw the ones available now online and just really dont care for them(not knocking them but just not my syle). I have some heavy wall 3inch pipe laying around and i think i can come up with a removable bumper that attaches to the reciever hitch. I think it would come in handy on big rides with a bunch of people drinkin and bumping into stuff(like me), then i could remove it around the house,, just wondering if anyone here has built anything like that? I dont get home for a few days and Im dying to get my buggy aquainted with a welder and torch lol. Drew this up goofin around on my laptop last night.Crappy pic but just a rough idea on what i thought about.. any ideas or comments on how to improve? thanks for the input!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hmmmmmmm?

You could hang a big mud flap on it too!

. . . . . .or one of those mist curtains like on the big RV's and keep the debris out of the RZR guys eyes!

Just kidding, I have thought about this too . . .. maybe not quite as heavy . . . . got the gear to do it but opted for the OEM bumper for the look as well.

My only thought would be it its high like that and plugged in to the hitch and as heavy as it might be it may bounce around a bit in the receiver and do some damage or with the leverage, if you bumped it or someone hit it could it bend your rear frame assembly?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha! the mudflaps would be a good touch,,
you may be right about the leverage part. really dont want to bend my frame trying to protect a plastic tailgate or light,, once i get home and am able to look at more mounting options I'll see what i can come up with. but if its permanent i will look into a more visually pleasing design lol, or lighten the pipe i use and hope that it would bend before my frame.. whatever i end up doing it isnt going to be a half ass job for sure,,
thanks for the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Id say if the only mounting location is going to be the reciever it will more then likely be moving around quite a bit unless you anchor in at another location as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts