Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oil leak from the timing chain tensioner, head gasket leaking and a broke stud in my motor from my exhaust in the front of the motor. Pretty sure I will have to remove the head to get the stud out. So what i need to know is...

1. What process do i have to go through to remove the head other than just removing the bolts.

2. How hard is it to change the o-rings in the tensioner on the back side of the motor.

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Oring not to bad. But you will need to remove the cylinder and replace the base gasket if you pull the head.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
As to the head gasket, Are you getting water in your oil or vice versa or both? Or are you just leaking oil on the outside of the motor? The reason I’m asking is I had an oil leak on the outside. It was just my valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You'll need to drain the coolant, and get that cylinder to TDC on compression stroke. Can Am says to lock the crankshaft at that point, which I believe requires a special tool. Don't know how crucial that would be, I've never done that on cars. I've supported my timing chain in other instances, though the manual makes no mention of it here. If you don't have a copy of the service manual, Ace has provided it for us on the forum. It's quite handy. (Ace, too).

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Yes nice long zip tie around timing chain so you can pull it back up after head install.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As to the head gasket, Are you getting water in your oil or vice versa or both? Or are you just leaking oil on the outside of the motor? The reason I’m asking is I had an oil leak on the outside. It was just my valve cover gaskets.

Yeah valve cover gasket is what I meant. I will not be taking the head off. Will figure some way to get that out with a dremel or something.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Valve cover gaskets are super easy. You’ll notice the new gasket is a lot thicker. The old ones compress with heat and age over time.

That stud otoh is gonna be a pita. Is it broke off flush? If not it won’t be so bad.

I don’t know how a dremel will help. Let us know how much if any is sticking out. Because methods vary.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried using easy out before on stud and it broke. Gonna use Drexel and 100 bits or get bit out then try to drill it out. Stud is flush with motor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone happen to know the size of the orings. Maybe I can get from work. And do I just take it out and change them? No special procedures or anything.

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Check the manual I sent you more than once . Lol thinking there’s a specific way to put it back in . But can’t swear to it .

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a 2011 1000. Appreciate the link you posted and all the good advice you give!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,145 Posts
Yeah only thing that changed between 11 and 13 are the steering and front axles . So everything else is still the same .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts