Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i idle my machine for about 5 minutes steam/smoke starts coming up from the water pump at the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. also there is a small amount of coolant drops on the skid plate directly under where the drive shaft is coming out of the front of the engine to the front of the machine. also on the very bottom of the engine it looks like theres oil on the outside of the engine so i dont know if its leaking from somewhere or what but if anyone can help that would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sounds like your water pump seal is leaking. I'm doing mine now. Big fun. The big hose connected to it may be leaking, too. Check it and the pump weep hole. If it's the weep hole, it's the rotary seal. There's an oil seal behind the pump seal. If it's leaking, it would come out the weep hole, too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your water pump seal is leaking. I'm doing mine now. Big fun. The big hose connected to it may be leaking, too. Check it and the pump weep hole. If it's the weep hole, it's the rotary seal. There's an oil seal behind the pump seal. If it's leaking, it would come out the weep hole, too.
sounds good ill take a look at that, thank you!

·
Registered
676 Posts
You're welcome. I hope it's just that bigger hose/clamp. Also, facing the water pump housing, the bottom right bolt is a drain bolt. It's supposed to have a sealing washer. Mine didn't. Even with that said, if it's not leaking there, I'd leave it be.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
As to the oil, it could be separate. Both of my valve covers started leaking a couple of years ago. It was amazing how much less compressed the new valve cover gaskets were. They fixed the leak.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Slowindown, I bought some aluminum valve covers and necks last year and am getting ready to install them. I was under the impression that I could reuse the existing gaskets. Are you recommending I should order new ones?

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Old gaskets get hard with age . The heat from the engine cooks the gaskets until they become as hard as a rock .
Change them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Old gaskets get hard with age . The heat from the engine cooks the gaskets until they become as hard as a rock .
Change them out

So you are saying you get harder with age? Shall I bring French vanilla creamer?

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
French vanilla makes me sweeter . I am as mean as ace when not using it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
to fix the water pump seal and maybe the oil seals deeper into the pump, does anyone know from past expierence from taking it to the shop how many shop hours it is? might just take it in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so one of the symptoms of a bad seal would be the smoke/steam coming up from the water pump area??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and when i re tighten the bolts i dont havw a torque wrench so should just do them up tight to where theres no leaks without tightening it fully?

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
You should not be guessing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts