Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A handful of years ago I bought my wife a Polaris Ranger xp570 to use on our small farm. I never planned to do any serious trail riding so power steering and the larger 900 engine (largest at the time) felt unnecessary.
Fast forward to today and we find we enjoy trail riding with it and take it out regularly on local trails and occasionally to an ATV Park about 3 hours away. The Polaris has been trouble free and does everything we ask it to but after a day of riding our bodies feel it. We are in our mid 50's so recovery times are a bit slower.
We are looking at the Commander XT 1000R as an alternative that still gives us a good size dump box which we use and need. Our thought is that the improved suspension, power steering and the more ergo reclined seating will all help us enjoy it more. The additional clearance of the 1000R over the 700 is also a reason for choosing this model. The XT-P seems like overkill and the X-MR looked "tippy" when we followed one through some hilly trails this past weekend.
I have never owned a Can Am product so I am unfamiliar with their reliability. Searching the internet for any product tends to result in the people who are upset about the problems they are having so I don't put a lot of faith in them as it tends to be a small percentage in most cases. What can I expect from the Commander for reliability with routine maintenance? What are the weak points in these machines? I know I will add the short windshield and mirrors as well as a rear bumper and some rock sliders. Is there any other must have option? Most importantly is this the right machine for farm and fun? Should I be looking at one of the other packages? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well… we have a 2021 commander XT-P. It’s our second side by side. (First one was an Arctic cat 1000X limited ). Driven in or rode in… multiple other side by sides over the years. The new commander is quiet , rides good , plenty of power for what we need it to do. Good ground clearance , GREAT doors from the factory. Very stable platform. You feel very safe sitting inside. Will it win any races … NO… does it have a WOW factor in the power department … NO. But… it’s gone places it had no business making it too… it’s never let us down… it’s been a great experience for us. Not cheap… not the most expensive … it just works. I’m not a BRP employee , we bought our machine on our own and so far have been VERY happy with it. Every machine on the market nowadays has their good and bad points. It’s all about what you need /want. Everyone’s different. Shoot me a PM if you need any other info. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a used (750Miles) 21 XTP in June coming from 10 years in Yamaha machines. After one ride and putting some upgrades on it, I am positively impressed with the fit and finish. Basic engineering and tolerances of parts is good. The 1000R motor has a long solid history and I am satisfied it can provide a reliable machine for me. I disagree that the XTP is overkill based on the type pf riding I do. If you look at what you get over the XT model it was a no brainer for me. The shocks, the beadlocks with bigger tires, and the Smartlok diff were worth the difference to me (not to mention the lower L range gearing and factory clutching for the 30" tires). I got several upgrades that I did not really pay very much for as the extras typically do not increase a purchase price that much when you look at the whole scope. The baby battery in a cramped compartment is poor as well as the cup holders but those are not that big a deal in the complete package and easily overcome negatives. My $.02..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well… we have a 2021 commander XT-P. It’s our second side by side. (First one was an Arctic cat 1000X limited ). Driven in or rode in… multiple other side by sides over the years. The new commander is quiet , rides good , plenty of power for what we need it to do. Good ground clearance , GREAT doors from the factory. Very stable platform. You feel very safe sitting inside. Will it win any races … NO… does it have a WOW factor in the power department … NO. But… it’s gone places it had no business making it too… it’s never let us down… it’s been a great experience for us. Not cheap… not the most expensive … it just works. I’m not a BRP employee , we bought our machine on our own and so far have been VERY happy with it. Every machine on the market nowadays has their good and bad points. It’s all about what you need /want. Everyone’s different. Shoot me a PM if you need any other info. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. Coming from a 570 Ranger I do expect some performance improvements but the improvements I am really seeking are comfort based. We get to occasionally open it up a bit on some farm lanes but these are on farms other than ours so out of respect for our neighbors it seldom happens. Anywhere else we ride it ends up being very short spurts that end with you hard on the brakes. The Can Ams seem to check all the boxes for us. We want something as you said that "just works". I don't have the time or desire to be constantly wrenching on it. It has to be reliable and simple as 80 percent of the time it functions as a utility piece for our business. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a used (750Miles) 21 XTP in June coming from 10 years in Yamaha machines. After one ride and putting some upgrades on it, I am positively impressed with the fit and finish. Basic engineering and tolerances of parts is good. The 1000R motor has a long solid history and I am satisfied it can provide a reliable machine for me. I disagree that the XTP is overkill based on the type pf riding I do. If you look at what you get over the XT model it was a no brainer for me. The shocks, the beadlocks with bigger tires, and the Smartlok diff were worth the difference to me (not to mention the lower L range gearing and factory clutching for the 30" tires). I got several upgrades that I did not really pay very much for as the extras typically do not increase a purchase price that much when you look at the whole scope. The baby battery in a cramped compartment is poor as well as the cup holders but those are not that big a deal in the complete package and easily overcome negatives. My $.02..
The XT-P seems like a great machine but for us our use seems to be about 80 percent utilitarian and 20 percent recreational. If those numbers were switched then by all means I would be more focused on the XT-P or even an X3 or RZR. Even with that 20 percent of recreational use the bulk is just a simple trip to a local winery, restaurant or convenience store. Nothing extreme. The XT-P just has a lot that wouldn't be put to use by me. Thanks for the feedback though. Everyone's opinions and experiences help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts