Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Commander SwifTrac Front Differential

Now you can have an instant locking front differential without the Visco-Lok engagement and diff slip.

Here's a link: https://www.superatv.com/can-am-commander-swiftrac-front-differential

Here's the details:

Traction When You Need It

SuperATV’s SwifTrac differential is the locking front differential your Can-Am Commander needs. It gives you the traction you need instantly. With SwifTrac, there’s no more spinning your tires when you get stuck. This complete differential comes fully assembled—Just remove your Visco-Lok differential and bolt on SwifTrac. Fill it with oil and get rolling.

Why You Need to Ditch Visco-Lok

Can-Am’s stock Visco-Lok differential is not the locking differential you want. When you get stuck, your wheels need to spin at least one full rotation before the clutch pack will engage and lock the diff with Visco-Lok. By then, you’ve already lost your momentum and then the diff can slip.

SwifTrac Uses a Sprague Carrier

SwifTrac utilizes a Sprague carrier and an electronically controlled magnet to engage and disengage four-wheel drive. With four-wheel drive engaged, this differential uses the Sprague carrier to lock instantly as soon as traction’s needed and unlock when it’s not. No wind up and no delay. You can cruise through trails at full speed and get torque to the front tire that needs it most instead of spinning your wheels. You don’t have to think about it, it just works.

Maintain momentum as you ride instead of getting stuck and waiting for your Visco-Lok differential lock to engage. It’s the Visco-Lok replacement differential you’ve been waiting for.

Complete Bulletproof Assembly

When you buy SwifTrac, you get everything you need to get riding. It comes complete with gears, hubs, bearings, seals, hardware, and everything else you need all preinstalled. The only thing missing is oil and your UTV. It’s made with top-of-the-line materials like chromoly steel gears and a hardened 7075 aluminum Sprague to ensure top notch performance on every trail.
Fitment

• Can-Am Commander : 2013+
  • Can-Am Commander Max : 2014+
Features

• Instant locking front differential
  • Complete front differential assembly
  • Dashboard 4WD toggle switch
  • Utilizes Sprague carrier for diff locking

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Why would this not fit a 2011 or 2012 model?

Also, the locker switch - is this in addition to the stock 4wd switch? Does the stock 4wd switch give you 3wd and the locker switch then lock the diff into full 4wd (similar to yamahas 2 switch locker)?

·
Super Moderator
23,013 Posts
Should work in 11/19 commander and 13/17 Maverik if it works in 13 to current commander. What are we missing??

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why would this not fit a 2011 or 2012 model?

Also, the locker switch - is this in addition to the stock 4wd switch? Does the stock 4wd switch give you 3wd and the locker switch then lock the diff into full 4wd (similar to yamahas 2 switch locker)?
Should work in 11/19 commander and 13/17 Maverik if it works in 13 to current commander. What are we missing??

Good question on the fitment. I'll have to dig into that. It may be a size/fitment issue with the actual housing in the frame location...but, I'll have to find out for sure tomorrow and I'll bring this back up.

@slowindown
This would completely replace the stock differential and the visco-lok 3wd. When you hit the button, you're in full 4wd.

I hate to say this because I'm sure I'll catch some hell...but, its going to act, perform, and feel just like a popo differential.

·
Super Moderator
23,013 Posts
So it’s three wheel till you hit the diff lock switch then it becomes a popo reactive still diff??

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
@slowindown
This would completely replace the stock differential and the visco-lok 3wd. When you hit the button, you're in full 4wd. .
Look back at my question. I don’t think we are communicating. The ad you posted says what you summarized above.

I’m pretty sure you’re not deleting the factory 4wd switch as it causes a servo to slide a locking ring onto a shaft connected to the front driveshaft. So what I’m asking is, what happens when you flip the factory 4wd switch? That is, do you get just a locked front driveshaft and nothing happens in the diff so that it stays in 2wd but with power from the gearbox thru the front driveshaft? Or does it go into 3wd like the halo front diff, which I assume has similar workings - and then you lock it in true 4wd with the new superatv switch?

·
Super Moderator
23,013 Posts
sprag bearing carrier . That’s the plastic piece in a popo diff that breaks and the upgrade is a billet carrier. The it’s spring loaded roller bearings like in a automatic transmission. The automatic transmission sprag bearings are a oneway bearing . The popo uses same style bearing but it locks up when turning either direction. Only down fall is if going forward and you stop to reverse it actually unlocks then locks back up once under power. The plastic carriers are bad about busting when the front end wheel hops or if you slams them into rear and lay the throttle to it. When they are locked they are locked . It will pull you from side to side which ever tire is getting the most traction. Same as the easy button/ diff lock on the rhino. Goo for crawling and mud but not so much at higher speeds .

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
So it’s three wheel till you hit the diff lock switch then it becomes a popo reactive still diff??
Not familiar with the popo diff. I’m assuming this is similar to a halo, which I thought was 2,3 or 4wd? But not sure based on ad and response.

That’s why I asked if it was 3wd if lock switch wasn’t turned on.
From superatv’s responses in the thread in the following link I thought it was going to be like their x3 locker, which i think is a pin locker like the halo and allows 2,3 or 4wd. That’s what I’ve been waiting for. I doubt I’m really interested in it otherwise. I’m looking forward to their clarifications tomorrow. https://www.commanderforums.org/forums/projects-how/60578-x3-super-atv-locker.html

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ace and BobT are correct. Its a Hilliard style differential like the popo's. True 4wd when you flip the switch, and still allows for different wheel speeds while turning in 4wd. It has all the beefed up internals we sell for the regular popo diffs, like the HD armature and sprague carrier.

Unlike the Pin-Locker, this will act just like the Popo diff and ratchet when you turn, so you still have 4wd and the front wheels are allowed to turn at different speeds. The Pin-Locker style would allow for the 2, 3, and 4wd, but when its fully locked you don't have much of a turning radius and tt's hard to steer. Its pretty awesome for the guys that do a lot of technical climbing stuff or spend a bunch of time in the mud.

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing...

This comes with a 4wd switch to engage the magnet. You can run around all day with your stock 4wd switch on, and this will only engage when you hit our magnet. Or...vice versa. Keep this on, and hit your 4wd to engage the shaft.

Also, this is going to greatly help the notorious front right axle breakage issue that pretty much every OG Maverick owner has experienced at some point. The front right axle splines are fully engaged in the diff, instead of just the tip in the visco-lok.

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the clarification.

Did you get any info on why it won't fit an 11/12? Or is it that ya'll haven't tried in an 11/12?

Lol! Gray area...

Basically, the OEM diff part numbers for the 2011-2012 don't supersede. Its probably going to work just fine, but since the part numbers don't cross over and we don't have a 2011-2012 to test it out on...we can't offer it as a fitment. Just covering out butts until we can get a confirmed fitment.

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction on the button engagement:

It'll just use the stock 4wd button on the Commander. You're 4wd will engage the the prop and diff magnet will already be engaged, and kick right into full 4wd when the prop is engaged. No second button.

·
Vendor
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been getting a lot of questions lately, so here's a little more info for those interested. :smile
The SwifTrac Front Differential is a Game Changer for Can-Am Owners

We’ve got a new diff for sale for Can-Am Maverick, Commander, and Outlander models. Allow me to get a little salesy for a bit and explain why this diff is a big deal. It’s not a limited slip diff like Visco-Lok, and it's not electronically acutating like our Pin Locker or the Smart-Lok differential (which you can’t even get on Commanders or Outlanders, and only on a couple non-X3 Mavericks). Nope, it works a little bit differently.
With our SwifTrac Differential, we’ve done something that nobody else has ever done–we put a Sprague into a Can-Am. That is a big deal because that means it can lock your hubs instantly when you lose traction and unlock when you get it back. It transfers power to only one front axle when you turn so handling is easy. It gives you control when you need it and power when you want it. Other manufacturers have used a similar style of diff for years, now we’ve brought it to Can-am. It’s rad, and it’s the only one of its kind.

Visco-Lok has a Problem

Here’s what you don’t like about Visco-Lok: it’s not a true all-wheel drive front differential meaning it takes too long to engage the differential lock when you lose traction. You probably also don’t like the fact that it disengages faster than it engages–if you want to finish a technical hill climb, you’ll spend more time with your tires spinning, waiting for them to lock, than you will actually moving up the hill.

The SwifTrac Differential is a True All-Wheel Drive Front Differential

SwifTrac solves the endless spinning by being a true all-wheel drive front differential. When you pop it into four-wheel drive, it will lock precisely when it needs to, and unlock when it doesn’t. It can apply power to each axle independently so that so you maintain buttery smooth handling when you turn. When one axle loses traction and starts spinning, SwifTrac will deliver power to the other axle instantly It does this all automatically with no spinning or slowing down.
Plus, that front right axle that your Visco-Lok likes to chew up? Not an issue with our diff. It engages the full length of your splines and transfers torque more evenly to help prevent your axle from shearing off at the tip.
That hill climb that took you forever with Visco-Lok? It’s a piece of cake with SwifTrac. With instant locking and unlocking, you maintain your momentum and control, and you keep moving forward.
It’s not just for hills, though. Gravel, loose earth, mud, snow–any time the ground beneath you tries to steal your traction, SwifTrac will lock and keep you going. In fact, it works so seamlessly and quickly, you probably won’t notice that it’s doing anything. The only thing you’ll notice is that you’re not getting hung up every few feet anymore.
It just works.
If you want to take a deep dive into the inner workings of a Sprague-driven differential, you can check out this post about a similar Sprague differential.

The Complete Package

Seriously, SwifTrac is the complete package. You get a complete, fully-assembled front diff that just needs oil before you install it.
To get it installed, you just pop your Visco-Lok diff out (which, I’m guessing is already out because you blew it up or something because why else would you be reading about a new diff?), put the complete SwifTrac diff in its place, connect your prop shaft, and slot in your axles. Bolt up and done, without shimming for backlash or any of that junk.
The SwifTrac Differential will get you running in no time. And it'll get you running better than ever before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts