Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new '14 800XT with less than 2 hours on it. I was looking at it as I was pulling into the garage today and noticed that it looked like it was slightly sagging. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. So I go and put a level on it in several places and it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me. It is actually sagging on the passenger side by quite a bit. Any idea what this could be? I am thinking it is poor setup from the dealer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Check the simplest things first.
Tire pressures and Shock adjustments.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Shocks seem like the obvious issue. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
812 Posts
More than likely overlooked at the dealer.
I am going with shock adjustment.
I have been wrong before though.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've heard this complaint from commander owners in the past, search the site you might find some old info on this problem. I remember reading about it on here and what they did to fix it..

·
Registered
877 Posts
I took this from an old thread I found:

'm also new to this, but recently bought a 12 X. From doing some reading here there are a few things to look for and I wish I'd have known going in to check. Apparently there have been some people that have received their Commanders with bent frames right from the factroy. This will be evident by one of the front wheels camber being off. I'm thinking mine is one of the bad ones. I haven't measured it yet, but several times just looking at the thing from the front I've thought it didn't look correct.

Then there is a sagging rear end on one side. Mine does this as well. In order to make mine sit level the back shocks have to have the springs adjusted significantly different from each other. Instead of having the springs set this way I'm dealing with the sag
temperarily, but need to fix the problem before this drives me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
If its not the shocks adjustment. Jack it up off the ground and remove one of the lower shock bolts. If it doesn't come out freely look at hole alignment with the shock it its off center the rear torsion bar / swaybar is tweeked. Mine was tweeked from the factory. 1/4 lower on the left than the right. And yes 1/4" is very noticeable on a level surface. Good luck

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so here's the update. I first checked tire pressure all the way around. They were all within 0.5psi of each other. So I figured that was close enough considering instrument and operator variation. I also measured the vehicle height on all four sides. It looks like it is sitting 1.25" - 1.5" lower on the passenger front. I then noticed that my passenger tire looked a little small compared to the driver side. So I decided to measure tire height all the way around and here is what I found:

Driver Front: 26"
Driver Rear: 26.5"
Passenger Front: 25.5"
Passenger Rear: 26"

So what do you guys think? You think this variation is normal or is that enough to cause my issue. I really am not looking forward to checking shock heights/etc. Also, do you think this could be a warranty issue? Tire manufacturer or Can-Am?

·
Registered
716 Posts
How did you measure tire height? Level on top of the tire and measure floor to bottom of them level??

If this is the case call the dealer and tell them right away before they can give you the speech about some tires wear faster than others and you need tires. Lol.

How were the shocks??

Stiff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a level at the top of the tire and up the vertical side of the tire being sure to pass the center of the hub. As you stated, I measured to the bottom of the horizontal level. I didn't measure the shocks yet. I did compress each side of the vehicle and they all seemed to rebound about the same.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wouldn't think that the springs are that weak on a new machine to cause that much sagging.
With a full tank of gas on my XT doesn't make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have someone sit in the left side and then take a measurement just to see, I know that with my Toyota tacoma It had a sage on the left side do to the gas tank and battery being on the left side. When I put the lift kit on there are spacers that go in the front shock to correct the problem. If you go to the Tacoma site and do a search there is plenty of info on the subject.

tacoma lean - Tacoma World Forums

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine was sagging just a bit, maybe an inch. I adjusted the shocks now it is level. I think the lower setting on the shock combined with the gas tank (especially if it is full) causes some sagging. JMO

·
Registered
657 Posts
Some day I will upgrade to the RacerTech springs and all will be great !!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts