Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search here but found very little info. I am looking at getting out of ATV's and into a SXS. Looking at the Maverick Sport 1000 and the Commander 1000. I do mostly light trail riding 75-100 miles a run in Northern Wisconsin and sometimes haul a chainsaw, shovel and other tools around for trail maintenance. I'm NOT an aggressive rider nor a mudder but likely will run into some mud on occasion. I usually cruise 30-40 mph and occasionally get up to 55-60. I really see no benefit with the Maverick other than a few more ponies but just want to make sure i'm making the right choice. It also seems like theirs more aftermarket items for the Commander and is cheaper as well. Any input?? Am i missing anything??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don’t know much about the maverick other than it’s a full sport sxs where a commander is a utility/sport sxs. I’m new to the sxs world as well I recently bought a commander and what really sold me on it was the fact that it has more than enough power, the bed on it (just to occasionally do some work out of and put a spray tank on for spraying season), and of course the bucket seats. We do a lot of long rides and there’s no way I wanted to have a bench seat for those. Basically getting the best of both worlds is what I saw from it. As for the notorious cab heat I can’t tell you a lot on it i haven’t had it through hot weather yet but I went ahead and did a couple things to prevent it before it ever had to be encountered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I 2nd RacerX almost word for word. Should be pretty easy for you to decide based solely on utility use. If you don't need a bed for property or animal care (or whatever) I'd be looking at the Maverick.
Regarding interior heat, I'd think a guy in WI would see that as a positive. Put in some removable vents or a 2nd set of sidecovers and you get alot of usable heat out of it helping to stretch the SXS season a little.
Like you're thinking, I saw the Commander as offering a pretty high level of sport quality but I opted upscale a little with the XTp package. But, it must have some utility use too. I'm hoping that a little tweaking makes this one a perfect machine for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are both about the same for heat? Drove a Wildcat last year and that damn thing was an oven at 75*!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don’t know where the motor is on the Mav (haven’t had time to learn about sxs world) but on the defender it’s behind the seats so they’re cooler... and as far as the commander it’s right between the seats. I went ahead and added the Hayden switch (love it) and a tite tops console cover. Console cover is 235 shipped to my door so a little pricey and Hayden switch is 35 at parts house, I’m pretty strict on wanting everything to match switch wise or hiding switches so I ordered the ON/OFF engine fan switch to replicate Can Am oem switches for 15 bucks. Installation was pretty simple and straight forward

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you are not into all out performance and handling. Then a Commander will fill your needs nicely. The 1000 has plenty of power. With a few mods it can be made to handle pretty good also. I bought a Commander because I needed a machine that could haul a load, like an elk, out of the hills. But still be fun when empty. It is also one of the most comfortable, for me, SxS I have driven.
I ride with a couple of guys that have RZR 900s. With mods done to my buggy, I have no problems keeping up. Nor do they complain when I lead the way. It does not handle as well as a RZR but it does the job. My commander handles all road/ trail conditions well. Its no mud bogger. But does pretty good in mud and snow. Its a good, dependable all around trail buggy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The sheer fact you are looking at using the machine for work related activities my vote would be the Commander. Difference in fun factor between the two based on your intended use and riding style would be minimal to nil.
There would however be a noticeable difference on the work side not having a tilting box and the larger cargo capacity to carry tools. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So went and looked at another Commander today and the dealer also had a 19 Polaris General. Lets just say CanAm better be updating the commander quick like. The General had a much better layout and was more comfortable......

·
Registered
41 Posts
So went and looked at another Commander today and the dealer also had a 19 Polaris General. Lets just say CanAm better be updating the commander quick like. The General had a much better layout and was more comfortable......

There’s a video on YouTube by DirtTrax comparing the commander and general. Give it a view

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

There’s a video on YouTube by DirtTrax comparing the commander and general. Give it a view

Saw it, The General takes top honors. I'm torn now.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
You shouldn't be the general is a new design, it's updated. If you buy a general, I would hope would cause can am to update the model. They have abandoned this platform so it's not cost effective for them to continue. And the longer they wait the more market share they lose

·
Registered
72 Posts
I try not to cause a ruckus on the Commander forum but I had two Commanders and now have a General. I would give you an honest opinion on the difference between the two but only if asked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I try not to cause a ruckus on the Commander forum but I had two Commanders and now have a General. I would give you an honest opinion on the difference between the two but only if asked.

Please share. I would love to hear an UN-biased comparison. Can-Am really needs to do some updating for sure IMHO. This dealer is telling me he is selling Generals 2-1 over the commander yet sells way more Ski-Doo sleds than Polaris so i don't believe he is biased......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, every brand has its good and its bad. These are the shortfalls of the General (from my perspective). I can only speak for the 2017 Deluxe. The front drive shaft had a vibration that sounded like a box full of marbles. A lot of people complained and Polaris fixed it. It wasn't a recall but if you took your machine in the dealer would order the new shaft. Problem solved. The next issue was the doors had a design flaw and the inside and outside halves would separate and pinch your arm. Again people complained and again Polaris fixed it the same as the drive shaft. In all Polaris side by sides except the turbo, Polaris puts square pucks in the secondary clutch instead of round rollers. The pucks slide back and forth and wear the aluminum away. Tod from Hunterworks who evidently has a bad rep on this forum, developed round rollers to correct the problem. Polaris has not fixed this problem yet. There was a recall to have the ECU reprogramed. The new program had issues as well. I sent my ECU to Gilomen and his flash not only corrected the problem, but improved a bunch of other stuff as well. The General has Turf Mode. I love it but others have had their tyranny's explode because of it. The problem is that the electrical connection can get wet and cause the turf mode to cycle back and forth between turf and two wheel drive. If you are accelerating when it tries to go into turf mode the gear will get jammed and blow apart and destroy the tranny. Some people removed the turf mode gear from the tranny, some disconnect it, I used white grease and taped the connection to keep the water out and have not had a problem. Polaris uses a small bicycle type chain to run reverse. It cannot handle big mud tires. the chain can break and destroy your tranny. The 2020 model is supposed to go to a reverse gear to correct this problem. I have over 7500 miles in less than two years and have not had an issue other than what i mentioned above. Polaris fixed some of them with no money out of my pocket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So this is what i like about the General. I can get to the motor without taking half the machine apart. It's so much easier to do service and maintenance. the General has doors, need I say more. It has a "Lock and Ride" cab system which means the roll cage is not round, it's grooved to allow a better fit of windshields, roofs, doors etc. This gives you a better seal than the Commander and it's easier to take stuff on and off. Except for the square pucks that you have to replace in the secondary clutch, I think the Polaris clutch is better than the Commander, at least from my experience. The General has more storage space in the cab. Because the motor is in the back, the General is quiet. Even with my aftermarket exhaust, we can have a conversation or listen to music at a normal volume. The General does not have the cab heat issue that the Commander has. Side by side as far as power goes the General and Commander are very close. My ECU flash raised the RPMs and removed the speed limiter. I can hit 80 mph on the pavement at 8900 RPM. I only did it once just to see how fast it would go. I think the suspension based on the model you get are pretty much equal. the ergonomics of the General suit me better than the Commander. I personally like the seats in the General more but some have said they like the Commander's seats. To me, the only thing the Commander has over the General is the box. But if i had to choose between a better box or all the advantages of having the motor in the back, it would be an easy choice. So with all that said, the main reason I chose the General over the Commander is the motor in the back and all the advantages that comes with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this is what i like about the General. I can get to the motor without taking half the machine apart. It's so much easier to do service and maintenance. the General has doors, need I say more. It has a "Lock and Ride" cab system which means the roll cage is not round, it's grooved to allow a better fit of windshields, roofs, doors etc. This gives you a better seal than the Commander and it's easier to take stuff on and off. Except for the square pucks that you have to replace in the secondary clutch, I think the Polaris clutch is better than the Commander, at least from my experience. The General has more storage space in the cab. Because the motor is in the back, the General is quiet. Even with my aftermarket exhaust, we can have a conversation or listen to music at a normal volume. The General does not have the cab heat issue that the Commander has. Side by side as far as power goes the General and Commander are very close. My ECU flash raised the RPMs and removed the speed limiter. I can hit 80 mph on the pavement at 8900 RPM. I only did it once just to see how fast it would go. I think the suspension based on the model you get are pretty much equal. the ergonomics of the General suit me better than the Commander. I personally like the seats in the General more but some have said they like the Commander's seats. To me, the only thing the Commander has over the General is the box. But if i had to choose between a better box or all the advantages of having the motor in the back, it would be an easy choice. So with all that said, the main reason I chose the General over the Commander is the motor in the back and all the advantages that comes with that.

The noise and heat will be the biggest thing for me. I'm hoping that CanAm will announce a new platform early this summer as i'm not quite ready to buy yet.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
If Can Am puts the motor in the back and adds doors it would be a tough decision on my next machine. Right now they have until 2020 before I look for a new one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts