Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Commander max shutting off

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  ElkBoneRanch 
#1 ·
HI. My 2016 Commander Max shuts off when slowing to a stop, it turns itself off. It will restart normally. This happened twice last year and 2 times in a row last weekend. I have brought it into my dealer and they cant find the cause, there are no codes. I am afraid that one of these times it will nor restart. Thanks for any suggestions.

#5 ·
Thanks again. But if I have battery problems, how could I restart it right away? And this happens only when almost stopped. I will check my connections and will be going for a ride this weekend. If it happens, I will pay more attention to what goes on. By the way, does anyone know where I can get schematics for this machine for free???

#7 ·
How full was your fuel tank when it happened? Just wondering if you've got a little water in there.

Steve

Reactions: acefire
#8 ·
Thanks gentlemen for your suggestions. First of all if I had a power issue, why can I start it back up right away as if nothing happened. I will check every connection I can get my hands on. As for Steve, thank you for your help but this would be my fourth full tank this year. Could this be something deeper like a computer type problem? I guess I was just wondering if somebody else has had this type of issues.

#9 ·
It could be one of many things as to why it would shut off and then start back up. But with out a check engine light and codes. That says power issue . From key switch to fuel pump . Next time it does it look at dash . If check engine light is on it’s storing a code . But once light is out you can’t pull the code only dealer can pull codes with light off.

#10 ·
I have had the same issue and I have a 2016 Commander Max. It shuts down randomly when I come to a stop. This has occurred 3-4 times over the last year. The dash lights stay on and it restarts immediately. The check engine light does not come on. I also asked my dealer about this and they didn't have an answer. A ghost in the machine.

#11 ·
Thanks Staffro, nice to know I am not the only one with this issue. (I had the same issue with my 2012 Polaris Crew. That's why I got rid of it!). Now I get the same problem with my new Can Am. I am just afraid one of these times it won't restart. I did talk to another Can Am mechanic and he said to keep an eye on the ignition switch although I have had mine out once already. If I get any updates on this I will let you know.

#12 ·
I had this happen to me once on a 2017 max 800 DPS, but it was immediately at the end of doing cyclones on snow covered ice. I assumed it was the machine telling me to stop being stupid, or the spinning throwing all the gas away from the pump or something. I haven't had the issue since, but I'll be watching now.

#13 ·
Does it die as soon as you come to a stop? Are you able to put it in Neutral and rev the engine at all. I had an issue where a piece of belt was stuck in the primary (I think) and when i came to a stop the engine would die because the clutch didn't open all the way. It was like stopping in gear with a manual clutch and not using the clutch. Sometimes if I put it in neutral and gave it a little gas that piece of belt would shift and allow the sheaves to open up. Once i found the problem and removed the piece of belt, all was good.

#14 ·
I just wanted to follow up my previous post as this happened to me twice this past weekend while riding a dusty dirt road. I stopped to let someone else pass in the opposite direction and machine shut off. Restarted no problem. Came to a stop sign just after that and shut off again. It didn't happen after that. I had about a half tank of gas, no engine light, dash stayed lit up as if everything was normal. Just wondering if anyone has found anything?

#20 ·
I have a 2016 commander max 1000 doing the same thing. Shuts off slowing down to a stop. idles at 1200-1250. will drop to 1100-1150 at shut off. \
fuel pressure 51 psi, replaced throttle & map sensor , both spark plugs, air filter clean, valves in spec, battery & cables good.

Any help?

#21 ·
I have a 2016 commander max 1000 doing the same thing. Shuts off slowing down to a stop. idles at 1200-1250. will drop to 1100-1150 at shut off. \
fuel pressure 51 psi, replaced throttle & map sensor , both spark plugs, air filter clean, valves in spec, battery & cables good.

Any help?
Did you check compression?

Reactions: acefire
#22 ·

Might take a look at this thread. I just went through this ordeal and learned a lot. Your symptoms seem very reminiscent of what I went through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.